• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

peat and activated charcoal

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I read a message on one of these forums a while back and can't find it again. It was about using activated charcoal to remove the stain from peat water without effecting the beneficial elements of the peat.

Does anyone know this to be true or is it a myth?

Thanks,
Michael

grumpy55

5 Year Member
Activated CARBON can remove almost anything organic.

If the benefits you are counting on are organic substances leached from the peat moss, too bad.

There could be some organics remaining, because carbon is not perfect,
but, it's pretty good.

The water softening effect will remain, and aome of the pH drop will remain (carbon tends to raise the pH a little)

grumpy55

5 Year Member
Activated CARBON can remove almost anything organic.

If the benefits you are counting on are organic substances leached from the peat moss, too bad.

There could be some organics remaining, because carbon is not perfect,
but, it's pretty good.

The water softening effect will remain, and some of the pH drop will remain (carbon tends to raise the pH a little)

cootwarm

5 Year Member
It is peats effect on hardness and pH that I'm looking to retain. How much of an effect does activated charcoal have on the pH?

Thanks,
Michael

Moi_Eater

5 Year Member
Good idea grumpy55! I will try to run a test on the effects of carbon on my peat-treated water as soon as I finish my peat experiments.(Peat treatment observations post)

Moi_Eater

5 Year Member
Results of carbo on peat water

I filtered a 3 gallon bucket of peat-treated water (pH 6.5, TDS 35ppm) with a Dynaflo 2 filter containing only an Aquaclear 300 filter media bag full of activated carbon. After a couple hours the water looked the same color, but the TDS increased to 69ppm and the pH had leaped to over 9!

Has anyone else had similar or different results? Thanks.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Sam,

Interesting experiment. Sounds like the water chemistry got all messed up and it didn't even do a thing to clear the stain! Are you continuing the experiment? I'm curious as to what you may find after 24 hours.

But wow! A pH jump from 6.5 to 9 sounds a bit uncomfortable to our acid loving apistos.

Thanks for the updates on your experiments. You've answered a few questions I've had about peat treating water. Perhaps one of our resident 'chemists' can explain how this happened?

Michael

mak

5 Year Member
Perhaps one of our resident 'chemists' can explain how this happened?

Hmmm... my refs say that activated charcoal is made from destructive distillation (heating in the absence of oxygen) of plant matter.

If you "burned" it all the way, you would end up with a very alkaline material, ash.

I'll guess that some/all of the soluble minerals (sodium and calcium in particular) stay in the plant material through the heating process and then leach out when you put it in water. Hence, increase in TDS and alkalinity. Since you've got pretty soft water to start, it doesn't take much to increase the pH. If you filtered my tap water ("liquid rock") through your charcoal, you wouldn't notice any change.

It's a great experiment you did. I'd have guessed that the charcoal would have made the water more acid...

mike

Moi_Eater

5 Year Member
cootwarm said:
Are you continuing the experiment? I'm curious as to what you may find after 24 hours.

I double-checked what I wrote down for the first test (after couple hours of filtration) and the pH was at 9.7! The pH dropped to 8.9 and the TDS increased to 86ppm after more than 24 hours of carbon filtration.

It looked as if it has cleared up the water a little, but it is hardly noticeable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….