• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peaceful Apistos

wild1

5 Year Member
I have a little experience with apistos and ever since my first pair I am was hooked. I just would like to know some peaceful apistos. Known to be peaceful types. Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. borellii; species of the A. caetei-, Xingu-, and resticulosa-complexes; eunotus-subcomplex; pertensis-group, iniridae-group, and A. wapisana quickly come to mind. Most of these species are monogamous or opportunistic polygamists. Of course, individual fish have individual personalities.

Tedstank

5 Year Member
So far and nice pair of Borelli's would be my pick...from my experience.
Beautiful blue fish and relatively peaceful and calm...even the females.

If you plan on breeding, the fry are very slow growers, but in a community tank, make very good fish food....shame, shame...lol

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
As much as I like and recommend A. borelli I don't like their very slow growth and the really blue "Opal" variety is much less common than the "yellow" phase.

I think Apistograma trifasciata are a very good choice and especially if you are still learning how to keep Apistos. They are also a very shining Blue but they are a slender species and have very attractive fins. Their dorsal fin have extended first 3 rays which can grow long. They are a small species but longer than A.borelli. They are not chosey about water chemistry. They just need their water to be clean. I don't think they are quite as shy as A. borelli.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think Apistograma trifasciata are a very good choice ...

I have to respectfully disagree. The OP asked about peaceful apistos, not easily bred apistos. For it's size, in my experiences, it is more aggressive than many other species. For me, this is a species that needs to be kept at least in trios and in more spacious tanks (20Long/29High 75X30cm minimum).

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I use 20 longs for a trio but if I intend to hatch eggs artificially I have used a 10 gal for spawning mine. I don't consider them to be very aggressive but aggressiveness is a subjective thing.

briztoon

5 Year Member
I have to respectfully disagree. The OP asked about peaceful apistos, not easily bred apistos. For it's size, in my experiences, it is more aggressive than many other species. For me, this is a species that needs to be kept at least in trios and in more spacious tanks (20Long/29High 75X30cm minimum).

Really. The two most peacefull species I have kept were my pair of trifasciata and trio of erythrura.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….