• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pair of Cren. Regani in a 10 gallon tank?

L

Leeac

Hi,

Do I have a better chance of breeding a pair of Cren. Regani by putting them alone in a 10 gallon tank with some pvc tubes,rocks and driftwood or put them in a 58 gallon pleco tank(assorted med. size exotic plecos) with rocks, driftwood and silk plants all over the tank?

Thanks.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D

My experience with C. regani is limited, but I know that they were a lot more comfortable in a larger tank with a lot of plant cover. I tried keeping them in a 20L, but the male was very aggressive towards the female. I moved them to a planted 40B and they got along a lot better, and eventually did spawn.

Good luck! :)

Z Man

5 Year Member
I had mine breed in a 20L and then switched them to a 10 after they had spawned a few times. I do have a breeding article on my site and also on Vinny Kutty's "Mostly Cichlids".

Neil

Leeac,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I bred mine in a 20L and had difficulty with the aggression management there :twisted: . I am always inclined to push the limites with fish, but in this case, I have to say that, even I, would be uncomfortable putting these fish in a ten. As I recall (been awhile), these guys can get 4"+. In a 10g. that means that there isn't going to be much room for the female to run, if she has an unsuccessful spawn or is simply not ready and the male is. If you have a totally compatable pair, as Zman did, it may be OK, but that may be hard to come by!
Neil

L

Leeac

Thanks for all your help guys. Hey Zman, I read those articles from you and Vinny. They were highly insightful, especially regarding the spawning and rearing of F1 fry in tap water. I put the pair in the 58 gallon with the plecos (the plecos are the same size or slightly longer than the 3 inch reganis), but the male was all over the female so I had to put him in the 10 gallon by himself. When do you think is a good time to put the male back in the 58 with the female?

Thanks!

Z Man

5 Year Member
That was my original problem and I just put him back when I was able to check them out every 1/2 hour. It only takes that long to destroy a partner. I am having the same problem with 3 pair of 2" C. wallicii (I think) but at least I am home all day to watch them. I am also working (unsuccessfully so far) with Notophthalmus, Cardiostigma & Compressiceps. Had them all less than a month now. Ya just have to wait it out.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….