• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Our new fish house addition.

Andrew Powell

This will probably generate some heated discussion!

Today we purchased a beautiful young pair of Apistogramma Viejita (That is what they were sold as).

I couldn't care less if they are Apistogramma MacMasteri as my father wanted a pair of A.MacMasteri for fathers day so win, win.

Please can someone clarify for me the differences between A.Viejita and A.MacMasteri?

I read somewhere that the MacMasteri don't have the first dorsal spine black but Viejita does (our male certainly does, you can just see it). Now I am not saying I definatley have Viejita, hence why I am asking the Apistogramma community :)

Image of our beautiful male.
WP_20140618_007.jpg

Another beautiful image of our male.
WP_20140618_008.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's a domestic strain of A. macmasteri usually sold as "A. viejita II". Do a search here for a description about how to distinguish the species. It's been discussed many, many times already. FYI both A. macmasteri and A. viejita males will show some pale black spines at the front of the dorsal fin. They are, after all, both members of the regani-lineage.

Andrew Powell

It's a domestic strain of A. macmasteri usually sold as "A. viejita II". Do a search here for a description about how to distinguish the species. It's been discussed many, many times already. FYI both A. macmasteri and A. viejita males will show some pale black spines at the front of the dorsal fin. They are, after all, both members of the regani-lineage.

Thankyou for the information :)

rr16

5 Year Member
Did you get those from Abyss? They have these in at the moment.

rr16

5 Year Member
My male Barlowi is colouring up nicely but unfortunately he's in a blackwater tank so just don't get the benefit of it all completely!

Andrew Powell

An update!

Today I participated in my first table show with my Apistogramma MacMasteri and he only came 2nd with 82 points , 1 point off the 1st place entrant. He would of got more points if he was bigger and had a black base on the show tank (which would of put him in 1st place). Still, very happy :)
As he has killed his female, I am now going to condition him purely for showing.
The next show is in March and I am certain he will get the 1st place spot :)

10479938_10152367917207947_7591901768330794830_o.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….