• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

only one side of the gills move

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
Hello, I was looking at my female fresa today and noticed that only one side of gills would flare out when she would breath. The operculum on one side remains motionless while the other side seems to flare out a little more than it should. Other than that, all appears well. She is very active, eats good, is yellow, and displays for the male. The water quality is good. No ammonia or nitrite, ph 5.8, TDS 37, and they get weekly water changes. The male appears to be just fine. What do you think could cause this and do you think it is a serious problem?
Thanks in advance,
Trevor

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
Ted, its very hard to get a good look at her because she is so skittish so there is the possibility that it has always been like this and I have not noticed it before. Today I just happened to be sitting still in front of my tanks for a long time and she came out and gave me a good look. I wonder if she may have sustained some sort of injury during a scuffle with the male.

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
Yesterday I moved some of my tanks to the house I am moving into. When I scooped up the female fresa I got a good look at the side of the gills that doesn't move. It appears that the gill cover is just really deformed. It looks caved in. I guess that solves my little mystery.
Trevor

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….