• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Odd form of A. cacatuoides

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Went for a small tour of the pet shops today.

I spotted some A. cacatuoides. The person there said they were wild, held in Florida before shipping.

Now the odd part. The male was spotted black on most of the body. Did not seem like a sickness of any kind, or bacteria. Did make him stand out alot! He seemed in good health, patroling the tank with the female, with all fins errect.

I should carry my digital camera with me all the time to take pictures!!

Can anyone tell me what it was? A new form of A. cacatuoides, with a recessive gene of some sort, or a natural genetic freak?

Neil

Most likely it was a non-invasive parasit that sometimes comes in on fish from the wild. It is supposedly not a problem, but does give the fish an marked different appearance. I had some Apistogrammoides that were very cool looking with this same condition awhile back. I wondered at that time if they might not have been a different population or, even, species in the genus. But they were only the carriers of this little bug's marks.

Neil

fredmir1

5 Year Member
A. cacatuoides

Hi to the List

I did see very nice 2 male cacatuoides at the LFS today .

The body were a very nice golden ,yellow colour.

Just a little bit of red on the tail

Was thinking of buying them and breeding them with my female triple red or Orange Flash
Like some feed back on this Idea

Thanks

George

Apistt_ed

hmm

BAdGuy:

As for cacatuoides, I have picked up a few that looked like that a little while ago when they were very young... they were wild and they looked almost like that but didn't have all the black spots just a few scattered across the top of the back. As you said, they weren't sick or anything but as soon as i put them into a nursing tank with the standard stress coat and all, as time went on the spots disappeared and they looked great... all in all now they are my favorite of all A. cacatuoides. He'll get a great silverish look with a bright yellow patch of markings from little spots with a dash of red on the tail and great greenish tint to it over all. this is my little 2 cents to this. I have had no problems with them ever since... but this is my own experience.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I had wild caught males & females (looked like the form from the Rio Putumayo) that had black patches randomly distributed all over their bodies. The lived & bred for almost 2 years without problems. The patches never changed, even when the females turned bright yellow. None of the offspring showed the black patches, however. The black patches probably were caused by a non-lethal, non-contageous pathogen.

Mike Wise

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldMouck

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….