• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Odd behavior

aarhud

5 Year Member
My Apistogramma Macmasteri are acting like wet pets after being in a crowded 125g for the past several months. I gave the pair a 48" tank a month ago with leaf litter, several spawning caves, and 6 guppies. No interest in spawning and they beg for food any time I pass the tank. Not even afraid of my hand. To top it all, the tank is on the bottom rack. Extremely annoying. I have never had Apistos act like this, which is one reason I love them. Frustrating, I thought these would be an easy spawn.

Cooder

Haha, this is the first time ive heard of anyone complaining about there fish acting like pets! Quite funny actually.

Are you sure they are a pair? They might need to get used to the tank before they spawn if they are a pair? Good food, good water and a suitable spawning site is all it really takes...

aarhud

5 Year Member
Haha, I have never came across Apistos that are so bold. Yes, they are a pair. They actually spawned before in the 125g, but the tank was so crowded that nothing came out of it. I have a pair of A. baenschi in a 48" tank right above them that spawned yesterday. The female mac is not even yellowed up or checking out the spawning areas. Maybe they will surprise me if I just quit paying attention to them. Water is 250 microS and fish are fed a mix of NLS and Grindel worms.

aarhud

5 Year Member
Im adding brine shrimp to the diet, raises the tank temp slightly, and moved all of the decor around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….