• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nuchal humps?

Aviant

Today I heard at my job that some Cichlids get Nuchal Humps - Much like Frontosa, Flowerhorn, Convicts, etc. I was curious if any Apistogramma's get them as well?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Only very old and very obese male apistos. BTW the name 'gibbiceps' means gibbous head (nuchal hump). They don't really have a nuchal hump, but the holotype is a large male that was poorly preserved and the forehead swelled.

Aviant

Ah, so its not desired to have such a thing on this type of fish. Thank you for the valuable information, I really appreciate it!

Aviant

Thats something I was honestly curious in, I think it would look awesome if a super small cichlid had a huge lump on his head. But not if it means overfeeding it until it's overweight :p

Chandz

Only very old and very obese male apistos. BTW the name 'gibbiceps' means gibbous head (nuchal hump). They don't really have a nuchal hump, but the holotype is a large male that was poorly preserved and the forehead swelled.

This male is around 7 months old and I wouldn't consider him obese, yet has a small one.

MacZ

This male is around 7 months old and I wouldn't consider him obese, yet has a small one.

In A. agassizii that's not necessarily typical. I'd credit this to being a result of breeding in captivity. Or is the fish between F1 and F5 generations?

Chandz

Yes, that very much could be the case.

I've seen it twice previously with agassizii when one of my older breeder males (unrelated to the one in the video) developed it with age and also one of his offspring developed it when he was young like the male in the video. He produced many batches and only one male ever had that trait.

anewbie

Ah, so its not desired to have such a thing on this type of fish. Thank you for the valuable information, I really appreciate it!
Well apisto is a genus; I would not be shocked if at some point someone somewhere can find a species that has a hump - maybe. I mean they are finding new species every-year it seems. So who knows what the future holds. Having said that the genus Laetacara seems to have several (all?) species with humps... if you want a small hump in your aquarium.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….