• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

now i'm confused on what i have and what sex they

jonnyuk06

hi all, bought a "pair" of apistrogramma's Double Redyesterday. the shop ordered them as a pair and sold as a pair. the guy who sold them spent some time looking at them to ensure they are a pair (he seemed to know what he was talking about so trusted him (first mistake). anyways i can sex rams but apistogramma's are new to me in terms of sexing.
i have two questions

1: what apistogramma's do i have (they could be double red, sun burst or even Orangle Flash), they changed colours so much over the last 24hr, i thought i had orange flash, then triple red but now i'm not sure.
2: do i have a pair - the bigger one will sometime chase the smaller one (not overally aggressive more a warning i would say), other times they swim together. abit of change on this actually, the bigger one has found a cave under large bog wood and will not let the other one any near it. once chased away the larger one will disappear back, i can't see into the cave so no idea what's going on in it.

thanks in advance

IMG_4342.jpg
IMG_4343.JPG
IMG_4350.jpg
IMG_4412.jpg
IMG_4414.JPG

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, they are not what is typically considered double/triple red cacs. These strains show red markings surrounded by black on the fins. As for sex, if they are about 2"/5cm TL, then I would expect to see longer extensions on the caudal, dorsal and ventral fins on males. If they are this size, my guess is that they could both be females.

jonnyuk06

i think they are some weird hybrid, they do look more sun burst, really nice colours though. the more i watch the bigger one, the more i think it's a female, just the way it's defending the cave area, i would not think a male would this. I also think the smaller one has made a small cave under the moss as scene in pic 1 and 2.
It's hard to tell on size, maybe a touch smaller than 5cm
If i do have two females, in theory i could add a male and hopefully get a pair. i would have to move a female on though i would think, in a 55l two pairs would be too much

MacZ

You could also keep them in a harem of 1,2. But you are right, even for three instead of four the tank is too small. If it was 80x30x30cm it could work. But as you say 55l I guess it's 60x30x30cm?

The yellow colouration on the last two pictures is an obvious sign of a female. You might want to keep that one and exchange the other one for a male.

jonnyuk06

Thanks Mac, i'm a little disappointed i don't have a pair, but slightly happier its more than likely a female, really happy with the colours given it's a female (we think). what would the behaviour of a male be? more aggressive around the whole tank or defending a small patch?
the tank is 45x36x36 i think, its the dennerle scaper 55l

MacZ

Can't predict the behaviour, haven't kept A. cacatuoides, yet. Depends a lot on how you structure the tank anyway.

jonnyuk06

i think i may have to separate them, the smaller one is trying it on with the bigger one, it's not going well for it.

jonnyuk06

well, i took them both back to the shop on Sunday, the smaller one was getting chased more and more, and as i wanted a pair thought to my self i can't risk a male not pairing with the female if i dropped one in.
Allot easier to catch than i thought as well, a bit of food in the tank and both almost swam into the net, their fearless nature was their undoing :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….