• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not as nice as some of your fish...

fatpuffer

5 Year Member
but here she is:

Female apisto cac. in the ten gallon with fry:

She is very bright yellow:
29Mar1.jpg

Look closely...you may see some faint ouline of the babies:
29Mar2.jpg

Top view:
29Mar3.jpg

Js

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
fatpuffer, I see an exceptional, mature female with more red on the caudal & anal fins than most females. I would bet that if the male is of the same quality, you get exception fish from her!

fatpuffer

5 Year Member
Thanks all!

Here is another "bigger" fry for previous batch with a different female...I think it is a "he" and is about 1-1.5 cm in the picture:

23Feb4.jpg

Here is dad when he was younger...can't find any recent photo of him:
RSCN23570001Trp.jpg

Js

cageman

5 Year Member
Maybe not as nice as nice as some of the fish that come by here, but this is the species where most of us got the love for Dwarfcichlids from.
Nice specimens!

peterK

5 Year Member
Male has stunning finnage! Really nice:biggrin:
Female is also beautiful. Thanks for sharing ^.^

Piotr>>>

fatpuffer

5 Year Member
Question

At what size should I remove the female? The fry are still pretty small (maybe 1.5 weeks after free swimming).

THanks

Js

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It really depends on the female. Some will keep their fry for months. I have some Gold Aggies that have 6 month old juveniles with them - and the male! This is not common but works for this form, which is not the type A. agassizii.

I usually let the female tell me when to separate her from the fry. I usually remove the fry or female once she stops guarding them - or 4 to 6 weeks from freeswimming, whichever occurs first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….