• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

No Corpses

strohl71

5 Year Member
Hello all -

I have somewhat of an unusual question/issue.

I have a moderately planted 38 gal in which I keep 2 pairs of apistos (cacs and aggies). There is also a school of cardinal tetras, one oto cat and one ancistrus pleco. Lastly, there is one "fan shrimp" (can't recall the species name) which I actually do not even see that often. By "fan shrimp", I mean it has fans instead of actual claws. It is about 3 inches long and catches food bits in its fans.

Anyway, my issue is that in the last couple of months, I have "lost" two female cacs. First one and then the replacement. They simply disapeared. They were both seemingly healthy.

It is possible they died and I just can't see the bodies in my mass of anubias plants.

Would my ancistrus pleco or the fan shrimp consume the bodies? Would either of them actually catch and kill a resting apisto in the middle of the night when the tank is dark? I would not think so but now I am not so sure...

Any thoughts?

KnaveTO

5 Year Member
Neither would catch and kill a resting anything. The pleco however might eat a dead fish at the bottom of your tank however as they are oportunistic feeders.

Zoban

5 Year Member
Fish is natural fish food so a fading or dead fish would be an open food item for anyone in the tank. Definately the plecs as mentioned would take advantage of the snack..

Sorry about your losses though..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….