• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nijsseni males

chapman76

5 Year Member
Is it normal for male nijsseni to start out more yellowy than blue. He has all the other typical male look to him. He doesn't have any "panda" spots or any of the black around the jaw the females have. His body is also shaped different. He is the smallest of the 4 I have (he is only about 1", maybe less). Will he start to turn blue.

FYI These are all F0 fish.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
My male is very yellow. In fact, all of the male nijsenni males I have had were very yellow, and went blue when spawning. Panduro seems to stay blue...

chapman76

5 Year Member
Thanks Ted. I feel alot better. So far he is the wuss of the bunch, will he start to get more aggressive. Right now, he is about an inch whereas the dominant female is 1 1/2 to 2 inches. She just picks on the other 3 and the cory cats.

Ray McCaleb

5 Year Member
I recently picked out 50 of what I considered the best of a group of 200 newly imported wild Nijsseni. All of the fish ranged from 3/4" to 1 1/4". It is a challenge to say the least to get a good distribution of males/females. I was looking for roughly 20 males and 30 females. I separated the fish when I got them home and two weeks later am satisfied with the evaluation I had made with them still bagged. The fish have colored up very nicely, they are ROUND on bloodworms, and I have already pulled out several easily discernable males and females for pairs. I have only moved two fish from one tank to the other.

With Nijsseni, of this size, I look only at the black on the gill plates...patch = female, stripe = male. That's my rule of thumb. I'm certain there are exceptions, but in general, it works for me.

Hope this helps,

Ray

Yan

5 Year Member
Hello.
A month ago I got 4 А.nijsseni in a very bad condition from my friend .
2 of them died a week later and 2 have recovered . They are living in a quarantine aquarium at temperature 26, РН 6.5, КН 6.
Their age is about 9 monthes.
I would like to know their sexing - if they are two females or a pair.

Apistogramma%20nijsseni.jpg

Apistogramma%20nijsseni2.jpg

Apistogramma%20nijsseni-fem.jpg

Apistogramma%20nijsseni1.jpg

Thanks , Yan

Yan

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
You, of course, know that they will probably not breed in your water.

The pH and kH in the aquarium where they are going to live will be рн 5.5 and kH 1 - 3 .
At the same time I try to find one more female.

Yan

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….