• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie ?'s

S

seagles59

Im looking into cichlids, but i have a 55 gallon and am thinking dwarf cichlids?

Blue and Yellow rams are the only ones i know of and how big do they get?
Any other species of dwarf cichlids readily available and what sizes do they get to and are they compatible with blue/yellow rams?

How many of the dwarf cichlids can i have in a 55 gallon i have a lot of cover and i built caves usuing terecotta pots and (aquarium) siliconing gravel and plants to them i think they look nice(will have pics soon). And will driftwood(i understand the cleaning ans soaking process) be a good idea?

Can plecos, striped raph's cory cats coexist?

Im sorry for all the questions but i did searches before and none of my questions where really answered.

farm41

5 Year Member
Rams get to about 2 1/2". What are your water conditions? Ph, Gh, Kh? It's best to match the fish to the water conditions. Get back to us with the water parameters and we can suggest some fish.

Which plecos do you refer to? There are many types and sizes. The cory cats are fine with rams or apisto's, so are ancistrus. The bigger plecos are real poop machines. I have no experience with the rapheal cats.

S

seagles59

Ill have the water paramaters hopefully by monday! The plecos im loking at now are prob the golden nugs or bristlenose. Rapheal Cats are out of the questions i found out they can get agressive after they grow a little.

Neil

seagles59,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Most South American Dwarf Cichlids can probably be housed in a heavily planted 55g. with rams. As to what is available, you just have to look around. Your LFS might carry an apisto or 2, a L. curviceps, N. anamola or, even M. altaspinosa.
As to how many you can keep in there, I think a less-is-better rule should be applied until you get to know the species and the personalities of the fish. A pair of 2 different species, along with some tetras and a couple of your catfish-type fish should offer you a pretty good display without pressing your luck.
And, yes, I would add driftwood if don't mind a little tea-coloring of your water. Most SA fish like the cover and tannins.
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….