• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Rams...

M

Mike T

Hi,

I've kept a pair of rams in a showtank for the last six months, but two weeks ago I bought six young adults which are now in their own tank. After watching them interact for a few days I've decided I'd like to breed them. The only other fish I keep are discus and angels. Can you guys give me some advice on breeding, pairing off, and raising rams?

Thanks to Rick's help(who I know through the discus forums), I have sexed my rams, best I could anyway. I have one definite female, four definite males, and one I'm not sure of. The female is very aggressive and seems to own the tank. I have placed two plastic plants and two medium pieces of slate in the 10 gal, no substrate, temp 84F. Ph 7.4 , water changes 25% 3 times/wk. Feed bloodworms, brine shrimp, high protein flake, tetra bits, and am trying to get them to eat my beefheart mix. Should I lower the params, or just wait for them to form a pair?

Any advice would be great, I'm a novice with these guys...

Thanks! :D

Mike T

Z Man

5 Year Member
I have a Ram breeding article on my site. How did you sex them out? It usually is fairly easy. Females have little blue dots/spots in and around their lateral spot. Males have no spots there. As for dorsal fin extensions, I have seen many females who look like males until you check the side spot.
Z Man

G

gary1218

As far as sexing rams go, when two go off into a corner and spawn can you pretty much assume that one is a male and one is a female? Or is it common with rams as it is with discus that two females will off spawn together, especially at a young age?

GARY

aspen

5 Year Member
when 2 rams pair, you will definately see their best colours and won't mistake the pink belly of the female and the extended 3rd ray of the male's dorsal. i do not believe that they will pair female/female like discus will.

the easiest way to see a pair is by watching their behaviour. they will claon defend a portion of the tank, and will be ready to charge any fish that get into their chosen part of the tank. in a smaller tank, be ready to pull the others. they can be very agressive against the others, and ime, it is always the alphas that pair first. in a larger tank, there should be enough room for the rest of the rams. in any tank, it is important to have dithers, or fish for them to direct their agression towards, otherwise they may attack each other, with the female usually hiding behind the heater, or if the tank isn't sealed, jumping out. i lost my best female that way. too bad.

in a 10 gal tank i use a single oto, as a fish to guard their spawn from. the oto won't eat the eggs or fry, but they will defend their clutch from it.

rick

M

Mike T

Could someone post a couple pics of male and female?

Thanks

-Mike T

Neil

Mike T,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Mike, Your tank, food and routine sound great, but I would drop your pH a touch. Qiute often ram eggs will fungus in water that has much hardness or is above about 6.5pH.
Neil

M

Mike T

Thanks for the info guys! Yeah I have a low hatch rate with my tap water. Right now I'm just hoping for a pair to form before I mess with lowering the params in their tank. Will lowering things help a pair to form in the first place?

Thanks

Mike T

Neil

Not necessarily, but it is always a good idea to establish a pair bond in the conditions that they will eventually breed in. Their ability to successfully spawn in the water that they are in should play into their motivation to pair up.
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….