• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Apistos

Pio Linhares

Hi Everyone
This is my first attempt at keeping Apistos
Heres what I have
Can someone identify them ?
As of now I think I have 2 females and 4 males
The 2 females are displaying yellow breeding colours and flirting with the males
A male that looked like a female was a mistake of the seller but the tail said it all
Thanks
Pio

Attachments

• 20220524_132611.jpg
    20220524_132611.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 162
  • 20220524_131221.jpg
    20220524_131221.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 160
  • 20220524_131107.jpg
    20220524_131107.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 157
  • 20220524_130110.jpg
    20220524_130110.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 159
  • 20220524_125052.jpg
    20220524_125052.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 163

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Thanks Ben. Yes they are different. 17 Gallon Tank
Assuming the footprint is 24 x 12 inches, that tank is large enough to safely accommodate a pair of the cacatouides, or one male each of the cacatuoides and agassizii, or one apisto total.

If you keep all the fish in the tank, there will be conflict, and this will be especially bad when one of the pairs starts breeding.

If you decide to keep a pair, you should be prepared that it will breed, and that will likely create a need for additional tank space.

Cheers

Pio Linhares

Thanks Ben. Yes will keep that in mind. Once a pair is set. Ill move the others to another tank. Ive read of the female aggression once she breeds.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Something to keep in mind is that cacatuoides are polygamous, so you don’t have to wait for a pair to be “set.” A male will breed with any female.

Cheers

Pio Linhares

Oh Thanks. Glad to learn this here.

So any male Cacatuoides can breed with any female apisto of the same species. Can they breed with other species also ? What about females, same traits ? So is the Agassizii the loner there ?

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
So any male Cacatuoides can breed with any female apisto of the same species. Can they breed with other species also ? What about females, same traits ?
Generally speaking, you can expect a male to breed with every female in a properly decorated tank of sufficient size. If there are multiple males, then the dominant one will breed with multiple femaies. That said, your animals aren't safe in their current configuration, so I advise you to select a pair and move the other fish to tanks that can safely accommodate them.

Do species interbreed? Sometimes. It's highly discouraged in the hobby, because you can't predict their health or well being. Also, you don't want to spread hybrids in the hobby, since this can compromise the maintenance of the true lines.

So is the Agassizii the loner there ?
Not sure what you mean by "loner," other that that it is the one of its own species. Fish do not get "lonely," so it can live perfectly well on its own or in a tank that does not include another pair of cichlids. Since you're new to apistos, I do not recommend that you pair it off immediately, since you already have multiple potential pairs on your hands. Better to learn first. Highly polygamous species like these are prone to extreme aggression when breeding can't be accommodated. So you should see this behavior first and understand how to deal with it, and also what happens when they do breed.

Lots of great basic information on apistos here: http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/index.php

Cheers

Pio Linhares

Thanks for all the advice Ben. One pair got set. I lost one female and I seperated the Agassi to another tank. Its a bit slow. Has an injured eye. On 5th Dec one pair set them selves up and gave a breed of 7 frys which I moved later to another fry grow out tank. Today they are 1 cm. One month later in Jan there were more frys but some days later they all disappeared, assuming they got eaten. Im feeding the frys beer worms, grindals, frozen blood worms and frozen artemia. Crushed Tetrabits they spit it out. I'd like to know how and when to wean them off live food and get used to fish food. This is tough as they are finicky eaters

Attachments

• 20230123_124839.jpg
    20230123_124839.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG-20230113-WA0056.jpeg
    IMG-20230113-WA0056.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG-20230113-WA0058.jpeg
    IMG-20230113-WA0058.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I'd like to know how and when to wean them off live food and get used to fish food.
The "when" is really your call. My fish all get live food, whether they're juveniles or adults. But they can definitely take prepared food at that size.

The "how" is mostly persistence. Try mixing frozen foods with live foods. And/or crushed dry foods with live foods. My apistos only really took a couple dried foods with any consistency: bug bites and hikari micro pellets. Other people have been able to convince them to eat flake.

Pio Linhares

Heres an update. Raised these now. Is the single one a female ? I know I have only one female for sure there. A local breeder got 9 Females and 1 Male so we are doing a trade to avoid interbeeding. I have separate tanks if any pair up. Thanks for your guidance guys. Much appreciated.
20230803_085157.jpg
20230803_101557.jpg
20230803_101941.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….