• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Tank With A. Agassizii Trio!

mwwade33

Hey Guys,

After nearly two years of waiting to set up my 38G aquarium I got the opportunity to get it up and running. Unfortunately, the day that I added the water to the new setup I also found my A. Cacatuoides had passed in my 10G setup. It was a little frustrating that the new home I had been dreaming up with Apistogrammas in mind would be used by the Apistogramma that I had been raising. After a few days of running the tank with a few guppies (and biomedia from the 10G) the Ammonia and nitrite levels never seemed to rise above 0, so off to the fish store to acquire some new A. Cacatuoides. The first LFS that I went in to were sold out with of Apistos with the exception of a few female Agassiziis. I passed on the opportunity but still picked up a few plants. Off to the next store, which is the one that I had the higher expectations for. (Aquatic Wildlife, Manchester, CT). They were also sold out of A. Cacatuoides. Seems to be a fairly popular fish around these parts! Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed, I skipped right over the tank holding the A. Agassizii to go check out the plants. It wasn't until I was on my way to checkout that the A. Agassizii caught my eye. It was an impulse buy for sure, but I picked up the only pair they had left. When I put them in the tank I dropped in some frozen blood worms and watched them eat them up. The female turned bright Yellow while the male fanned his fins and swished around. This seems like flirting behavior to me, and i must say that this impulse buy was not a disappointment. After a few days of watching the pair swim alone I noticed some aggression from the male. Since my A. Cacatouides killed his intended mate, I didn't want to take any chances here, so I went and picked up a second female from the first place I went to. Now I have a trio and the male seems to evenly distribute his attention. Hopefully this will help keep everyone happy and alive. The tank has a lot of little caves in the rocks and under the driftwood. I have seen a few little bits of aggression between the females over who gets which set of caves but that was to be expected. My only hope is that it won't be long until I see some real breeding activity.

mwwade33

That's embarrassing. Let me try that again.

IMG_20150124_080340363_zpsen6oiibg.jpg

IMG_20150123_213500685_zpsfnkkmzuv.jpg

IMG_20150124_080055404_zpsxajezn56.jpg

IMG_20150124_080325463_zpsu5notys9.jpg

Did that work for you? They show up for me... I think its because I used the URL directly from my email. My apologies.

mwwade33

And there off! It would seem that the first female has spawned already! That was a lot sooner than I expected. I watched them go in and out of the cave for a couple hours last night. Now the female is guarding the cave and bright yellow. She has two small dark spots. Hopefully we don't lose power in this blizzard now. I have a battery operated air pump, but I'm afraid it will get cold really fast.

IMG_20150126_165330482_zpswdvop4lz.jpg

IMG_20150126_165326051_zpsttiubnff.jpg

Guarding%20eggs_zps30eedquc.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….