• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tank question - lighting

mak

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I'm going to be purchasing a 125 g tank, probably later this week. I want a planted tank, CO2, etc., which I'm now doing on my 55.

My question is this - I'm looking at using two 2 x 96W power compact fixtures for a total of abt 400 W. Each is 36" long, the tank is 72". This seems to make a lot more sense to me than spending a lot of $$ on a 72" fixture (or building my own canopy & installing my own lights).

Thoughts? Thanks.

mk

Neil

mak,
I agree with the use of power compacts. They are great. But that seems like an aweful lot of light for anything but a SPS coral tank. I am no expert on this but I think that you can deal with just about any plant with about half that. Maybe others have more info than I on what would be appropriate compact lighting for your tank.
Neil

jerseyjay

5 Year Member
mak,

Lets make this clear before we move on.

I'm looking at using two 2 x 96W power compact fixtures for a total of abt 400 W

Same argument was brought up on different forum. I want you to be aware that 1 bulb (ex. ahsupply.com) comes with 2 tubes. Although you will see two tubes, this is only ONE bulb w/ 96W. I wanted to point this out since you said 2x96W=400W and I know a guy who bought 2 96W bulbs and though he had ~400Watts.

Let's assume that you do have 400Watts over 125Gallon tank. This is a decent amount and its not too much at all. Although you will have other Experts tell you that 2-3wpg is enough (George Booth) others will argue that 4-5 wpg is what works for them.

Personally, I have 220watts over 55G tank and I'm very happy with the result. Light combined w/ CO2 and lotsssss of fertilization (K2SO4, KNO3, KH2PO4, Trace, Fe etc) will turn your tank into beautiful garden.

You mentioned CO2 in 55G tank so I'm assuming you are not new to this part of hobby.

I did DIY over my 55G tank w/ 55Watt www.ahsupply.com setup. Worked like a charm.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….