• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tank and fish stocking

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hey all!

I recently bought a new 75 liter tank, which i'm gonna pick up on friday (-feeling like a teenage girl at a justin bieber concert)..
Now i want to move things around a bit.
Here's my ideas for all three tanks.

54 liter:
1. move my current pair of A. baenschi to this and make a breeding setup. I read in a thread here somewhere, that it should be possible to keep a single pair in tank that size.
2. get a trio of A. borelli

75 liter:
1. move my current pair of A. baenschi to this along with my Copella calollepis.
2. buy a trio of A. bitaeniata

110 liter:
1. buy a trio of A. bitaeniata
2. buy a couple of A. atahualpa (though Mike Wise, suggested a bigger tank for keeping these.)
-to go along with my 14 Nannostromus marginatus.

I have also thought of keeping my 54 liter free of apistos and then try my luck on breeding some tetras or just keeping it as sort of a grow out tank, if i get fry in the others.

I have thought of trying some of the west Africans aswell for the 110 liters.

All tanks will be set up as "non-stricktly-breeding-tanks" but still keeping it very much in mind.

Arghhh! all those possibilities.

-r

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
54 l: too small for a breeding tank for A. baenschi, which can produce 100 fry in a spawn. If you are experienced, a pair of A. borellii is possible. Better use is as a breeding tank for tetras.

75 l: OK for A. baenschi if you have a grow-out tank. Fry will soon out-grow this tank. Trio of A. bitaeniata is possible if properly decorated.

110 l: Either option is possible if properly decorated.

There is no such thing as "non-stricktly-breeding-tanks". Fish will breed if given the opportunity whether or not you want them to breed. This will cause problems in a community situation.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot Mike!

Thanks a bundle for the great advice.
I’m not sure i will call myself experienced.

Sorry for not clarifying.. -when i wrote “non strickly breeding tanks” i meant in regards to fish stocking and water values. I would imagine folks keeping fish for breeding are more aware of water values.

I will be sure to post pics when everything is set up and let you know where it ends..

But so far i lean towards putting the baenschi in the new 75 liter or keeping them in the 110 liters and keeping the small one for tetras.

-r

rasmusW

5 Year Member
hey again!
one more question... is 1m-3f a. bitaeniata too much for the 110 liters? -if propperly decorated.

thanks in advance.

-r

rasmusW

5 Year Member
okay, thanks! -ye, i kinda thought so myself, but decided it was better to ask you guys first.

-r

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….