• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New set-up - what species?

MTSpaces

I've just redesigned my 300l and it is now ready to populate. Currently heavily planted but still growing in, with plenty of bogwood and rocks, pebbles etc, housing dwarf pencilfish. I haven't added any leaf litter yet, but will do as soon as I get my hands on some (beech and oak normally). I'll possibly be getting some small corys (pygmaeus, hasbrosus or hestata) and maybe a few otos and an outside chance of sparkling gouramis, depending on what I decide to do with the main inhabitants: Apistos.

One thing I've always fancied in my display tank is having a big group of mixed Apistos, I guess similar fashion to the way malawis are kept. Not with the intention of breeding just to look pretty.

A) In a 300l (4ft x 1.5ft) would this work with Apistos?
B) Which ones could I house in this fashion? Which to avoid?
C) How many would be 'safe'?

But after oh so many years I suspect I'll opt out of trying this (again) and go with the tried and tested breeding pair/group as usual. My LFS currently have nijsseni, aggies, macs and cacas. Having bred macs and cacas before I'm tempted by the other tw0. I've already picked up a pair of nijsseni for another tank. Never kept them before, loving them, so cute and right at the front looking for food if I even move in the room.

As I'm still undecided, and usually only keep one species per tank, I thought I'd gather a few opinions, here's where my brain's gone already...

1) Debating trying a pair of nijsseni together with a pair of aggies. I believe different complex so would be ok? (Or a quick way to dead fish?)
2) How many nijsseni could I house safely if I go for more than one pair? Maybe a couple of males and four females?
3) Same question for aggies?
4) Would an alternative, say borellii or trifasciata work better with either of these two if I mixed them?
5) Just move the existing pair of nijsseni to the 300l and enjoy the show? (They seem to be a pair, only just sexing out, lots of showing off, but still very young. She's gorgeous but he's still colouring up, just starting to show some blue with a tinge of orange in his fins)
6) See if I can get my hands on something a little bit different say barlowi, abacaxis etc and give them a go (very tempted by trying something not necessarily rare but seen less often in LFS, but would be distraught if I lost one of a pair and couldn't replace it)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….