• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New pair of Agassizi - behaviour info needed

Minders

5 Year Member
Just looking for a bit of info. Have kept various Apistos over the years, with varying success so am not a complete beginner, but have never had any success with breeding, etc.

In my main tank (4ft, planted) I had a pair of Agassizi, but the male died last year. The female has been fine and is plump and active. After watching out for a mate for her for some time, I finally found a male which I brought home a couple weeks ago.

A few days prior to finding this male, I'd put a coconut (with one of the milk holes punched out for an entrance) in the front of the tank where I could see it, but attached some moss to it so it was a little covered (and will become moreso when the moss establishes itself). There are logs and plants immediately behind it so it's not right out in the open. The female took possession of this coconut within an hour of it going in the tank and defends it vigilantly.

When I put the male in, she attacked him on sight. This went on for a few days, but I expected it. Eventually the dynamic between them seemed to change. Now he displays to her with his fins stretched out to the max, and they sort of circle each other like this. Sometimes she seems to hit him in the face with her tail. There is the odd nip to the body from both of them. The pair do that displaying all over the tank, including over the coconut, but it can be anywhere in the tank and they seem to do it all the time. Once I thought I saw him passing over the hole of the coconut in a way that looked like he was spawning but I can't be sure, and she hasn't remained in the coconut as if she's tending a brood, so I'll guess that they didn't spawn.

The female's colouring, which was very dark when she was on her own, is sometimes yellow now with the black stripe down her side and over her eye - though this varies now depending on what's going on. She goes in and out of the coconut and keeps a close eye on any fish that try to come near it - especially corys. The male sometimes seems to defend it a bit but then swims away.

I was just wondering if, based on this sketchy information, any could tell me whether these two seem to be pairing up? And what should I be watching for? And do you think it's OK that the coconut is so close to the front of the tank, or would I have better success if I moved it to a slightly more secluded spot? My tank isn't that densely stocked, most fish stay around the top (hatchets, pencils, etc) apart from the catfish, obviously. The pH is around neutral or below, and there are lots of plants.

Oh, and I know the catfish are a problem to a breeding pair of Apistos, but that's just the way it is. There is plenty of cover so though I wouldn't expect and entire brood to survive, you never know, some just might.

Any info/suggestions is welcome.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I was just wondering if, based on this sketchy information, any could tell me whether these two seem to be pairing up? And what should I be watching for?

You need to read the Ethology chapter in Koslowski's book. Then you would know that everthing is going as expected. BTW very few apisto species "pair up", and A. agassizii is not one of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….