• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new member with some experience but new to dwarfs

pred11

5 Year Member
hello. My name is David. I have been keeping fish for years so i know pretty much what i am doing. but i have recently started keeping dwarf cichlids. i have kept jaguars, jack dempseys, and blue acaras. At the moment i have 7 tanks.
I have a 50 gallon that has just been completed for the dwarfs. I have a pair of rams. a pair of firemouths, and three kribs.
I want to add a pair of flags and a pair of agassiz's.
The tank is very well planted, with rocks bogwood and artificial resin caves.
The tank has been cycling for about 6 months with tetras and corys, (still there). under gravel and external filtration, 25% water changes every 2 weeks. temperature at 27/80 degrees.
I am happy with the set-up and am looking forward to years of enjoyment with my new additions, and hopefully all will go well.
Any advice is always welcome and given if i can help.:)

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi David,
I'm not 100% sure how long a 50 gallon tank is (I think 4 foot long?) but I think you may have some problems with the cichlids you have already I'm afraid.

You have 3 pairs who are all going to want their own space as they breed. They also all come from completely different areas of the world. Your Firemouths are Central Americans (which are usually pretty aggresive and prefer harder water), Rams are South American (probably the most peaceful and like soft water) and Kribs are West Africans (generally a little bit more aggresive than South Americans and like soft water too).

Generally each male cichlid will try to defend a territory about 10 times his body length and the rams may suffer when the firemouths and kribs breed as I don't think they'll have space to hold their own.

You will be fine mixing West Africans and South Americans, but personally I would put the firemouths in their own tank. You could then probably get away with another pair and still have just enough space when they all breed.

Bear in mind that even if you don't want them to breed the fish don't know that and even lone males will try and defend a territory just in case a female comes along.

The your tank set up sounds great and seems like it will make a great home for your dwarfs.

pred11

5 Year Member
thanks for your input. i will be getting another tank after reading about the difference in water conditions for the firemouths. also will be building a tank after christmas. about 1000 gallon in the corner of my living room

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….