• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Kribensis

Carcharodon

5 Year Member
These fish are about 1.25" SL, and I picked up two of them at a local store, then another a day later. I've read about sexing these fish through the appearance of elongated dorsal/anal fins, "plumpness" in the female, and different things about colors, but I really didn't see that much of a difference between all of them at the store. Since I've brought them home they have colored up pretty well, but I still don't know what sexes I have.

Anyway, I thought I would share some pictures of them.

Here are all three of them:

k2_three.jpg

And here are the two that spend the most time together:

k2_best.jpg

However, much of that time is spent posturing..as I'll post in uhm..the next topic.

dhm325

5 Year Member
Hello. Your fish are really nice. I am not certain, but it looks like all of the fish may be males. The best way (IMO) to distinguish the sex of kribs is to look at the tail. The tail of a male is somewhat spade shaped with the point in the middle. Females have more rounded tails. In addition, the coloration of the upper half of the tail is a good indication. Males have red (the color can vary depending on the variety) coloration on the back edge of the upper half of the tail. There is also usually a metallic silver or gold (depending on the color variety) border next to the red stripe. The tale of a female is usually yellow in color without any red or metallic stripes. Spots on the tail or on the dorsal fin are not necessarily a good indicator of the gender of a krib.

In addition, the dorsal fin of female Kribs usually has a metallic yellow border.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that the bottom pic is of a pair. Gut instinct... noting too technical. The darkness of the lateral stripe of the female (smaller of the two) and pinkish tint to the belly, as well as the larger occeli spot in the fin lead me to think female. The foreground fish is male.

LyreTail

5 Year Member
all three are males - if you had a female it would be very obvious as they look like this - Male top Female Bottom

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UQD7AmUZZR4krxIteM1cVR4c9z9c8AdvoGWshAF71V0yUgJdBdqXCoPZDB2R501VvrPaVgoIaVQOkYitk!PxT1HOHGcwqKXllKi4CJfkqKUL6z2Vlr!e9mzZIivOZQeE/Krib%20Family.jpg?dc=4675471573286947061

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Gotta disagree LyreTail... the female on the right has the rounded ventral fins that are characteristic of female Pelvicachromis. The fish are also quite young, and they are not showing the breeding/aggression colors that the fish in your nice picture are showing.

LyreTail

5 Year Member
I may be wrong The red morph from Nigeria female does have that exact spot on the caudal fin but many aquarium strains do not- I would need to see a more close up picture.
I blew the picture up about 400% in Adobe and sharpened - the Ventral fins on the right hand side fish look clear ( see through) to me and not that rounded. I guess I just do not see that aspect in the photo as I was looking coloration and the enlongated dorsal

Fish only 1.5 inch might still be a little tricky to tell. Perhaps taking the third fish out and giving them a nice flowerpot to spawn in would make things more obvious. At 1.5 inch long they should be close to spawn depending on age

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….