• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new here... wassup folks..

Apistt_ed

hey everyone... I'm not really new here... but new to the forum.. does that make any sense? anywho.. I am having a little problem with my newest setup... it's a 10gal I am trying to set up for my smaller apisto. As of now the majority of them are in a 125 gallon where the ph is 6.2. I am not having any trouble with them in there but the dominant Triple red Cockatoo male and borelli male bosses them around. The they I am refering to are a small pair of A. Trifaciates... The thing is that the 10gal setup keeps fluctuating in ph from about 6.0-7.2. I have been using the standard coconut shells to safely lower and keep the ph at about 6.2-6.4 but it still jumps every once in a while..

I have the 10 gallon set up with multiple driftwood pieces and floating lilies and a few banana plants with conditioned water (at neutral ph) aged about a week to 10 days to get it to about 6.5. Filter is a dirtmagnet... not into the carbon filters (overhead or undergravel).

What are some of the things you guys/gals do to lower ph down safely and keep it there? just wondering... trying to find alternatives to chemical means of lowering ph.. thanks

M0oN

5 Year Member
Why not just acclimate the fish in question to a pH you can handle without having to add chemicals?

You said your pH is only 6.5 after being aged from the tap? That sounds fine to me...

Randall

5 Year Member
Lowering pH

Dear Apistt Ed,

Water can be naturally softened and acidified by conditioning with peat moss. If you search the forum using keywords "peat" and "peat moss," there is a ton of information for you here.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Neil

Apistt_ed,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Although trifasciata is a fish that can reproduce in neutral conditions, they benefit from softer, more acidic water. Fry raised in these "lowered" conditions will often show improved physical characteristics (ie, longer and thicker anterior dorsal fin rays, as well as nicer color!).

I have been using the standard coconut shells to safely lower and keep the ph at about 6.2-6.4 but it still jumps every once in a while..

I am not sure that a coconut shell will give you any benefit for acidity. Your driftwood will probably give you more of an advantage! Your best bet is to get your KH to about 2º to 3º and, as Randall suggests, reduce pH via filtering the water through peat. It is a pretty easy deal for a 10g.

Good luck,

Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….