• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New guy

Catoctin

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
2
So, I've been keeping fish for almost 40 years. Freshwater and saltwater. Big fish (Oscars, African Cichlids) and little, but I've never kept Apirtogrammas before. I've already decided I'd like to try these out, but would like some advice from those who have some experience with this. The tank I'm going to start with is a 30 gallon tank. For a beginner, which apisto would you recommend as being the most like to be successful and survive/breed for a newbie? Also, any recommendations for the best way to get water conditions to be just right?

Thanks.
 

jose_vogel

Member
5 Year Member
Messages
317
Location
Argentina
I saw your post just now.

Two of the easiest to mantain, breed and buy are A. borellii and A. cacatuoides.

What are your water parameters?
 

tjudy

Moderator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Messages
2,822
Location
Stoughton, WI
Welcome!

You will find A. cacatuoides the most accomodating, especially the tank strains like double red or triple red. Tank strain A. aggassizii is a good choice too. I used to reccomend A. borelli, but most stores are selling a hybrid called 'steel blue' as A. borelli now. I seem in almost every store I go into. If you go with A. borelli, try to find quality hobbyist-bred stock or wild fish that are ID's correctly.
 

LeviathanGirl

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
98
Location
Fort Bragg, NC
Welcome to the world of Apistogramma! Cacatuoides are a real good choice for sure! Ted has the right ideas.

I've just now gotten my first pair of Agassizii, but have successfully spawned Macmasteri, Cacatuoides, and Hongsloi in that order, I got them all at the same time from local auction cheep after they'd gone through bidding twice without being sold. LOL I think I got lucky with my Macmasteri as they are not usually a beginners apisto.
 

Catoctin

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
2
Thanks for the suggestions and another question

I have purchased a pair of A. cacatuodies "Triple Red" and a pair of Borelli "Opal". The Borelli are in a 30 gallon with a pair of N. Anomala, and a school of Green Eyed Rasboras. For some reason, I'm having trouble with this tank getting the pH down. I think my substrate in this tank, a hold over from when I used it for African Cichlids, is keeping the pH close to neutral. I've put in some oak leaves, which helped push it a little lower, but still not where I want it. The Triple Reds are in 20 gallon, pH about 6.4, with a school of Neon Tetras and one Molly. When I set this tank up, I got the Molly to be the poor fish to see if it would survive, which he did. The strange thing is, he and Triple Red male are now best buddies. They swim around together, and I swear, occasionally they play tag as one will chase the other, and then just like that they reverse roles. Not sure what to make of this. Has anyone seen anything similar? The female T Red, by the way, spends her time going from one cave to the next, like she is on an inspection tour. Hope this is a good sign.
 

jose_vogel

Member
5 Year Member
Messages
317
Location
Argentina
Catoctin, a PH of 7.0 is good for A. borellii.

I caught wild A. borellii "opal" in streams with a PH of 7.8 and a temp. of 20º (celsius).

Besides, I bred wild A. borellii (opal and yellow) with a PH from 6.0 up to 7.5.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
18,792
Messages
125,189
Members
13,675
Latest member
Phap

Latest profile posts

Re-designing and starting a new fish room all over again. This time we'll have many more Apistsogramma species. We are expanding.
dimandobson wrote on Arnold's profile.
hi
dimandobson wrote on Ben Bergman's profile.
Hi Bergman. I have a pair of breeding dwarf cichlid for sale. if you are still looking, drop me your whatsapp number and i will send some videos to your whatsapp
martin_c wrote on illumnae's profile.
Hi,

just in case you happen to live in Germany (or Netherlands): I have a wildcaught female A. psammophila, you could have it for free. I have no use for it anymore.

BR
Martin
Top