• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

NEW: Collecting on the banks of the mighty Amazon article.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Tom, an excellent report. Next time go a little farther, into the Rio Uatumã system. It has a very amazing apisto that entered the hobby in the Far East 5 years ago. It was called Apistogramma Fire Red. It was a red color morph of A. cf. pulchra Rio Branco. If you find them, sneak some out to me:biggrin:.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Thank you Tom C and mike wise!!!
Tom, it is pretty pitiful compared to your amazing posts. When is your next adventure going to be featured in your site *waiting with bated breath*

Mike, How much farther? hours? days? weeks?
Also can you ID any of the apistos?
Do you have any pictures of the fire red Apistogramma? it sounds interesting!!!

Tom C

5 Year Member
...... When is your next adventure going to be featured in your site ......

I have too much to do at work right now, but I think, when I have the time, I'll make a small report from collecting deep inside the jungle:

resizeimage.aspx

catching apistos like this, with spots in the anal fin, from the A.-nijsseni-group:

resizeimage.aspx

In the meantime, I look forward to see more exciting reports from your collecting adventures!

By the way, the Heron you ate for lunch( :eek: ), seems to be a Cocoi heron (Ardea cocoi):

resizeimage.aspx

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
:eek: I CAN'T WAIT!!! out of all the sites i look foward to yours is the best, everytime you catch a new fish and show a picture my adrenaline rushes the pictures are amazing!!!
I feel like i go with you on those trips.
Right now i am writing another one but its not that great.
Hudson

electric eel

5 Year Member
thats pretty impressive,hudson.i would never have guessed you were a kid if you had'nt posted a picture of yourself.are you sure the snake was a coral and not a king snake.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Electric Eel, if you are going by the rhyme "red touch yellow kill a fellow, red touch black venom lack" then you are probably going to die in the amazon jungle :tongue: this doesnt work in the amazon.
To be perfectly sincere, i am not completely sure if it was but I really couldnt do anything about it. There was a large crowd around who were positive i would die instantly if i got close to it. Also the coral snake head is fairly distinctive, not to say anything for sure but still it was a good chance it was.
It was also hard to tell because it was not in its adult coloration.I will finish another adventure today but its not as good as the last one.

electric eel

5 Year Member
i new that it applied to the corals up here did'nt know about the ones down there.i know they say its hard to tell a juvinile king snake(they make excellent pets) from a coral snake.i've been catching and handling snakes since i was younger then you(i'm 46 now) and would'nt be too worried in any event.look forward to seeing more pictures and hearing more about your exploits.i spent most of time out in the woods growing up(when i was'nt in school) but you are really lucky to get to go out in the amazon.keep us posted.it is pretty interesting to me and you write with a maturity well beyond your years.ever considered submitting anything for publication in any magazines.you probably could get published if you were interested.i sure did'nt mean to be negative about the snake i was just curious as is my nature.i was very impressed with your article.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello Hudson,

Wow what a great web-page and trip you had. I also liked your report published in TFH magazine about your Pikes.Well done and keep it up.
Enjoy these fish and nature it is great. cheers jk :biggrin:

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
i new that it applied to the corals up here did'nt know about the ones down there.i know they say its hard to tell a juvinile king snake(they make excellent pets) from a coral snake.i've been catching and handling snakes since i was younger then you(i'm 46 now) and would'nt be too worried in any event.look forward to seeing more pictures and hearing more about your exploits.i spent most of time out in the woods growing up(when i was'nt in school) but you are really lucky to get to go out in the amazon.keep us posted.it is pretty interesting to me and you write with a maturity well beyond your years.ever considered submitting anything for publication in any magazines.you probably could get published if you were interested.i sure did'nt mean to be negative about the snake i was just curious as is my nature.i was very impressed with your article.
Oh no!!! electric eel, i didnt take ANY offense and i hope you didnt take offense at me, i really did not mean it like that at all.
Actually every two years we travel to the US for six months, there we travel all over the place I always catch all the snakes i could possibly find (I spent hundreds of hours looking for them in every spare moment. however, my snake collecting habits screeched to halt when i got to brazil again, there are LOTS more species and lots more life threatening species. Also there are practically no books about them unlike in the US.
If you want photos of the snakes i have caught i wil make a post in my blog with them :biggrin:
I had a boa constrictor (HORRIBLY aggressive) but my mom made me get rid of it eventually.
About writing in a magazine, i already wrote one a year ago that got accepted but i really dont like how i wrote it. I also am waiting on word from 3 articles that i have submitted.

Thanks big bird! It is great when some one likes your blog. Electric eel, Pm me your email and and i will send it to you if you want.

Georgdev, thanks a lot!!
I finished another article which you can vie in the following link http://passionate4pikes.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/fish-collecting-outside-of-manaus/#more-468

Thanks again!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….