• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Baby Kribs in a New Tank. I have questions!

Lisa

I got a pair of Kribs in a newly set up tank. They are the only ones in the tank besides a black and an ivory Mystery snails. I was looking for other dwarf Cichlids to add as tank mates but they had babies before that could happen. Now I'm thinking I should only keep it a Krib tank.

1. If I keep it Kribs only how many babies should I keep? It's a 29 gallon tank.

2. Should I keep all females and just my Male or a mix of both?

3. What other tank mates, especially any type of dwarf Cichlid would work well with my current Kribs?

4. Can I put a Raphael Striped Catfish in with the Kribs?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20220713_230751.jpg
    20220713_230751.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102

anewbie

You can keep as many as you want but once they reach adult hood there will be issue as a 29 is fairly small and can't support much more than one pair. Kribs are extremely proficient parents and most of the off springs will survive. Personally I'd get rid of all the frys are soon you will be swamped with them - they breed frequently.

MacZ

I agree, give them away and probably stop breeding by separating the parents. Pelvicachromis breed like rabbits. One successfully raised batch can be enough to overstock your tank.

2. Should I keep all females and just my Male or a mix of both?
As in several species of this genus the females are the ones that really tend to fight rather keep males. But in a 29 keep only the original two.
3. What other tank mates, especially any type of dwarf Cichlid would work well with my current Kribs?
No other dwarf cichlids. The footprint is too small to provide room for two territorial bottomdwelling species.
4. Can I put a Raphael Striped Catfish in with the Kribs?
Not really. The catfish are rather nocturnal, the cichlids diurnal. Also the tank is too small for a Platydoras, which should be kept in a group anyway.

anewbie

For other tank mates you want fishes that will stay near the top - various tetras and rasbora. the kribs will go after anything on the bottom when caring for frys.

Lisa

I agree, give them away and probably stop breeding by separating the parents. Pelvicachromis breed like rabbits. One successfully raised batch can be enough to overstock your tank.

As in several species of this genus the females are the ones that really tend to fight rather keep males. But in a 29 keep only the original two.

No other dwarf cichlids. The footprint is too small to provide room for two territorial bottomdwelling species.

Not really. The catfish are rather nocturnal, the cichlids diurnal. Also the tank is too small for a Platydoras, which should be kept in a group anyway.
I also have a new 55 gallon with African Cichlids. I could put the Raphael cat in there. I read they live in groups how many would you recommend I get? I have ten small Cichlids since I just started this tank also.

MacZ

I also have a new 55 gallon with African Cichlids. I could put the Raphael cat in there. I read they live in groups how many would you recommend I get? I have ten small Cichlids since I just started this tank also.
You have been badly advised if by "African cichlids" you mean Malawi cichlids. Africa is a big continent, the fish usually sold as African cichlids are from Lake Malawi in the east of the continent, Pelvicachromis from the Rivers in the West.
A 55 is too small for Malawis long term (maybe growout for 4-6 months, then you need a bigger tank). And I would not keep them together with a Platydoras. They have wildly different requirements and the catfish would only vegetate in a Malawi tank.

Whoever sold you all these fish has no sense of responsibility and only wanted your cash.

I recommend sorting out the situation now, even if that means rehoming or returning fish. It will only get more complicated the longer you wait.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….