• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Babies

animalmgc

5 Year Member
I recently(oct 15) purchased some double reds4 total1 male 3 females and 2 of the females laid eggs and they hatched.They've been around for 2 days now water per is ph of 6.0 kh of 40 and gh of 25.I'm prepared to move them to a 10 gal with a clear bottom figuring this would be best since there is also 7 rummy nose tetras in with them.How long should I keep them in with moms and if no baby brine is avail. what else would be a good alternative to feed them.

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
Congrats on the new Apistogrammas and their first spawning.

You're right in that the Rummy Nose tetra will predate on the fry. They are very skilled at picking them off. Even a very expert Mom will have little luck pass a few days time.

If you really want to raise these fry you could siphon just the fry. Sometimes moving both mother and fry together is so stressful that the mother will eat her own fry. It would also be very tricky if you tried to move both females, as they would not have their own territories established and immediately feel threatened by each other. However, I personally don't like bare-bottom tanks. I find fry do better in a tank with at least a shallow covering of Pool Filter Sand. And, in a tank that w/ an established bio-filter. Also, a big hunk of Java Fern that the fry can pick at for tiny infusoria.

That said, Apistogramma females most often take wonderful care of their fry, leading them around to find food, etc. Fry raise with their mothers often grow and fare much better. Most often they can be left with their mother for around a month. Sometimes even longer if the male has been removed from the tank and is not present to initiate another spawning.

As for feeding. Apisto fry do much, much better with live food when they are first free swimming. It's the wiggle factor. Besides BBS, you can feed microworms. Microworms are very easy to keep and raise.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….