• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Apistos in recent times

HaakonH

5 Year Member
I was wondering if there's any online register of new Apisto discoveries (not just scientifically described species but new species in general)?
Is anybody here keeping track of these?
How many new species (and which) have surfaced in recent years?
I feel I could use some updating on this topic:)

blueblue

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Rolo has the best list on the internet that I know about at http://www.b-a-r-s-c-h.net. It is in German, but the names all are the same.
Agree and you could also go to the japanese website for photos of a lot of apistos.
http://www.rva.ne.jp/apisto/4.htm

By the way, besides some "sp." from the regani group (they all look very similar to me),
i remember the newest apistos in the hobby to me is
A. sp. Sunrise (discovered in 2003). So, are there other any interesting species discovered after that? ^.^

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. sp. Oregon is one. A. sp. aff. Peixoto has not been published yet, but David & I got specimens from Uwe Römer at the ACA convention in July. I'm not positive that it is a new species, but a new color morph of A. sp. Vielfleck/Multispot-A. sp. Xingu. The collecting locality is very different, but I don't trust it either. I expect to see new species arrive, now that it is collecting (low water) season in many parts of the Amazon.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
A. sp. Oregon is one. A. sp. aff. Peixoto has not been published yet, but David & I got specimens from Uwe Römer at the ACA convention in July. I'm not positive that it is a new species, but a new color morph of A. sp. Vielfleck/Multispot-A. sp. Xingu. The collecting locality is very different, but I don't trust it either. I expect to see new species arrive, now that it is collecting (low water) season in many parts of the Amazon.

Thanks Mike, yes, A. sp. Oregon (i nearly forget about this species
which is in my tank, hehe... it must be mad of me now)... A. sp. aff. Peixoto
is new to me while i guess it's another colour morph in the regani complex.

Anyhow, do look forward to more new beautiful species which can make the hobby more interesting :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nanotankfun

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(