• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Apistogramma setup

DravenXavier

5 Year Member
Well, I finally finished setting up the 24 gallon South American biotope I was working on. I should be getting the Apistogrammas tomorrow. HOPEFULLY A. hongsloi, but if not, it'll be A. viejita II. I'll post pictures of them when I get them, too.

P1010378.jpg

P1010381-1.jpg

P1010403.jpg

P1010392-2.jpg

DravenXavier

5 Year Member
From what I've read/heard, in the wild Apistos seem to relish leaf little for cover more than anything, so I have a good amount in there for them. The leaves are small, so I'm hoping to get ahold of something larger soon, like some almond leaves. I'm trying to not ruin the "biotope" feel, as I don't believe these waters have much, if anything, in the way of rocks. Suggestions are definitely welcome, though.

DravenXavier

5 Year Member
Ummm...I have no idea? :tongue: Maybe some type of maple. A couple years ago, I picked up a lot of straight, fallen branches to use with my green tree pythons and tree boas, but never used them all, so they'd just been sitting around drying ever since. So, I cut them to size, and screwed them into the plastic grating...the grating will hold them down to keep them from floating, hold them upright, and since it's a grid, I can wiggle it out of the sand when the wood rots, and I can replace it with new wood. The branchy bit in the corner was a a dead part on a shrub outside our apartment haha. I just boiled it a bit before use, mostly to get it to sink.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Very nice!

Is the large stem plant Ludwigia sedoides? It looks like it and will float on the surface naturally. Where did you get it from?

DravenXavier

5 Year Member
Yes, it is Ludwigia sedioides! I got it from aquariumplants.com,as they had it at the lowest price, by far. They sent me way more than I ordered, so I'm bringing the leftovers with me to see if they'll take some cost off my Apistogrammas today for the plants. A few things about this plant, though...first is that although it's naturally a floating plant, it grows very well as a planted stem plant. Second is that it should be in a tank with VERY high lighting, CO2 injection, and fertilization in my opinion, to handle its growth. And lastly is that this plant grows like nothing else I have seen. I've had it for 2 1/2 days, and the stems have put on over 6 inches of growth each. So if you're picky about looks, you may end up having to prune this plant every couple days!

DravenXavier

5 Year Member
Here's a picture of a surface rosette. This is the reason I got this plant, as it will provide some shading, too.

P1010386-3.jpg

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
That is one of my favorite setups period, good job!!!
The "tree trunks" look so natural!!!
Here is actual apisto habitat. this is where i caught the pertensis, paucisquamis, and gibbiceps.
CpiadeP2010160.jpg

I love all those plants, so unique.

DravenXavier

5 Year Member
Got the Apistos today. I was hoping for hongsloi, but the store ended up not getting any in. They had some GORGEOUS super red borelli, but the females had some weird depressions behind their gills, which was a turn off. So, I decided on a pair of viejita II. The male wouldn't sit still, but I got the best pics I could. My camera doesn't capture moving things well.

Male:
P1010410.jpg

P1010417.jpg

Female:
P1010405.jpg

P1010400.jpg

DravenXavier

5 Year Member
Oh? Well, it's good to have a proper ID, then. I don't really care, since it's not hongsloi :tongue: that's what I really wanted. Just as long as I actually know what they are.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Ludwigia sedoides

Hi all,
Nice tank. I'm very interested in the Ludwigia sedoides I.D.
I've been looking for the ID of the plant on pg 11 of the DATZ guide S.A. Dwarf cichlids, and now I know - Ludwigia sedoides.

Now to try and obtain some in the UK, and find out how it gets on with lots of light but low nutrients. Lack of CO2 injection will be irrelevant once it reaches the surface, as it will have the "aerial advantage" - access to atmospheric CO2.

cheers Darrel

matjeee

Well, I finally finished setting up the 24 gallon South American biotope I was working on. I should be getting the Apistogrammas tomorrow. HOPEFULLY A. hongsloi, but if not, it'll be A. viejita II. I'll post pictures of them when I get them, too.

Great looking setup bro I'm gonna get myself a pair to wanna breed them but in a tank like you have did you succeed in that? And what tank mates do you have?

P1010378.jpg

P1010381-1.jpg

P1010403.jpg

P1010392-2.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….