• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new and wilhelmi again

Mark

5 Year Member
Hi to all,

I am new to this forum and I hope I will be able to give some aswers and share experiences with you. I am a small Apisto breeder in The Netherlands. At the moment I have
A. eremnopyge (spawning, not hatching)
A. gibbiceps Rio Negro (breeding)
A. cacatuoides Wild colors (breeding)
A. baenschi (breeding)
A. nijsseni
A. agassizi alenquer (just spawned)

These are all wildcaugth fish (I prefer to use wildcaugth fish)

I am looking for A. wilhelmi and Cruzeiro, but I can't get wild fish here. Now I can get tank-bred wilhelmi's for a big price.

My first question to you is; Do you think keeping and breeding them will be possible without using water of Ph 4 ? At the moment I have 1 wildcaugth male in normal tapwater and he is indestructable. He is the last one to die because of temperature or water changes.. I have read some earlier comments but it's not clear to me yet. I hope someone breeds these fish and will be able to give some hints.

I hope you can help me.

Mark Klootwijk

Fisherking

5 Year Member
Hi, I hope I can help you. My experience with wilhelmis is that they are very "friendly" towards each other compered to other apisto. But they need very low ph to get the eggs to hatch, usaly under 4 ph. I have tried to get them to breed in higher ph but they just dont want to. The parents died a few weeks ago(think they were wery old) but I have 15 fry that are almost 2cm. So I hope i get both genders.

Mark

5 Year Member
Thanks for the experience so far. As I understand keeping them alive is not difficult but breeding is only possible at Ph below 4. How do you get your water below 4? Untill now I use RO water with peat, but I won't get below 4. What do you do to get there?

Mark

Fisherking

5 Year Member
Hi, the water here were I live has a harness below 1. From there it is not that difficult to lower the ph below 4. But it depends wery much on what kind of peat you are using. I use big bag of peat(50cm x 30cm x 50cm) with peat in a plastic tub(80l) with a big powerhead to make the water run over the peat for a few hours(to get as low as possibel) before I do a water change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….