• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New A. cacatuoides setup (and a few questions)

M Hughes

I'm new to apistos (not to fishkeeping), and am in the process of getting a 40-gallon breeder (36x18x16") set up for Apistogramma cacatuoides. I've done quite a bit of research on the forums and I would first like to thank everybody on here for contributing. There is a vast wealth of knowledge on this site, and it is very much appreciated.

Once it's ready, I plan to stock my tank with a group of six young (1/2" to 1") cacatuoides, in hopes that I will get at least one breeding pair. My question is once the fish get old enough to pair off, would it be unwise to keep the remaining male apistos in the tank? Or will the dominant male try to kill any others?

I'll have a sand substrate with lots of larger, complex driftwood pieces (caves, crevices, etc.), rocks arranged to form additional caves, and plants in the corners and back of the tank, as well as plants growing on and among the wood. Several inches of leaf litter (mostly oak and magnolia) will cover any exposed sand, except for a larger patch toward the front that will be left open for the apistos to sand-sift, should they desire. I'll also have some floating plants (Amazon frogbit and/or Salvinia minima).

Tankmates will be 10-12 black neon tetras, 7 pygmy corys, 3 whiptail cats (Rineloricaria spp.), and eventually, 6+ Otocinclus.

I'm particularly curious for insight on the process of going from 6 juveniles to an established pair or group - especially if I can minimize casualties. Any other comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
.....Once it's ready, I plan to stock my tank with a group of six young (1/2" to 1") cacatuoides, in hopes that I will get at least one breeding pair. My question is once the fish get old enough to pair off, would it be unwise to keep the remaining male apistos in the tank? Or will the dominant male try to kill any others?
They aren't pair forming, you get a male with a harem of females that live in his territory. I never had much luck with more than one male, but I had a 1:7 male:female harem for a while.
.I'll have a sand substrate with lots of larger, complex driftwood pieces (caves, crevices, etc.), rocks arranged to form additional caves, and plants in the corners and back of the tank, as well as plants growing on and among the wood. Several inches of leaf litter (mostly oak and magnolia) will cover any exposed sand, except for a larger patch toward the front that will be left open for the apistos to sand-sift, should they desire. I'll also have some floating plants (Amazon frogbit and/or Salvinia minima).
Sounds good.

cheers Darrel

M Hughes

Hi all, They aren't pair forming, you get a male with a harem of females that live in his territory. I never had much luck with more than one male, but I had a 1:7 male:female harem for a while. Sounds good.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the reply, Darrel. I appreciate it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….