• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Neon and platinum tetras fry safe?

ggabrielcc

Hi all, just got my first pair of Apistogramma, got some agassizii in a 15gal, no plants but lots of botanicals such as leaf litter and sticks/ wood. I also have 6 neon tetras and 6 platinum tetras ( originally only the 6 plats but a friend needed to re home the tetras). I plan to breed the agassizii but im worried the tetras will eat all the fry, am I over thinking or if this probable

ggabrielcc

You’re not overthinking it. Tetras are efficient, relentless predators.
Oh no, getting an 80L this weekend so can move them into that in a couple weeks once it cycles. I can the decide what to do with them, don’t fancy giving them away as I paid about £37 for them. So can store them in there for the moment.

yukondog

5 Year Member
I would set the new tank up for the male agassizii if you want to breed, I have two pairs [aggie's] that have no problem eating there own fry if I don't get the male out in time, and I have another pair that have no problem with fry in the tank [last three batches], next batch they may go nut's. Just have another tank ready for the male in case you need it.
I'm worried the tetras will eat all the fry, am I over thinking or if this probable
Nope, your not over thinking.
Welcome to the sight ggabrielcc.

ggabrielcc

I would set the new tank up for the male agassizii if you want to breed, I have two pairs [aggie's] that have no problem eating there own fry if I don't get the male out in time, and I have another pair that have no problem with fry in the tank [last three batches], next batch they may go nut's. Just have another tank ready for the male in case you need it.

Nope, your not over thinking.
Welcome to the sight ggabrielcc.
Thanks! And yes maybe the 80l new tank will be good for housing the tetras and then housing the pair once they have bred

yukondog

5 Year Member
Better to leave mom with the fry and let the male take a break in the community tank.
I agree, I take all males out at some point and let the female raise the fry and recuperate, and keep them in there own separate tanks till needed again. Good luck.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It really depends on the species. I might be a good idea with highly polygamous species, but in others that are less so it might be counter-productive. Some species, like those of the nijsseni-group, form 'breeding pairs'. These are different from mated pairs. Breeding pairs will bond as long as they are successful at producing fry. If not, they separate hoping to find a more suitable/successful mate. If you separate a breeding pair they might not decide to breed together again.

ggabrielcc

Thanks for all the replies! Definitely helps, did do plenty research before but there’s always more to know and different tips. Will set up the other tank today and I’ll f they breed or don’t get along can move the male, at the moment the male will chase the female very briefly (quickly swims at her) this doesn’t happen very often but I have seen it A couple times. If this carries on for too long would it be best to separate, or get another female?

ggabrielcc

The female is also quite small so is it possible she can’t breed yet and the male is chasing here away in hopes of finding another female?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….