• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need new Apisto ID

Dread

5 Year Member
These apisto were sold under a pretty broad name of A. Galaxis, so I'm looking to narrow it down. I suspect it's Apistogramma sp. 'Papagei' (A91) but I'd like more input on it, from people more 'in the know' than I am. Any ideas? I know these aren't top-notch shots, and I'll do my best to get better ones soon. It was sold as a Male/Female pair:

new004gk4.jpg

new005ko7.jpg

new002yr4.jpg

new003yr7.jpg

new001ec6.jpg

Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry, but the photos are not good enough for a good identification. Photos of the posterior part of the male and female would be especially helpful.

Dread

5 Year Member
Hopefully these are better, I apologize since I don't have a good camera for aquatic pictures.

apisto007cg7.jpg

apisto006fh7.jpg

Someone suggested A. sp. 'Pebas' and I think that could be close?

Dread

5 Year Member
Well I'm positive that they're the same species, and I'm positive I've got a male/female pair (I vented them, and I know what to look for because of numerous other cichlids), I'm just unsure of the species. Here's the best tail shot I could get.

maletailex4.jpg

lab

5 Year Member
I think what Mike is looking for is any small spots in the tail. Pebas usually have this, but Papagei not. The photo is too much out of focus to tell, I'm afraid.
Although you are sure of the sex, the female may also be useful for ID, since there are differences between the number of lateral spots shown on the female.

Lars

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
After looking at the last photo, the caudal spot show a form similar to that of A. sp. Papagei. Most specimens of A. sp. Galaxis end up being a color morph of A. sp. Papagei.

I only reason that I asked for a photo of the female is because every photo that you have sent shows fish with blue color in the dorsal fin. I have never seen this on a female of A. sp. Papagei or Pebas. .

Dread

5 Year Member
Well, after much research and help from some people here, this Apisto has been positily ID'd as A. sp 'Pebas'. After speaking with the owner of the shop it was bought at, and seeing adults from the same parents, there is no doubt that it is sp 'Pebas', and by the looks of the adults, these guys will be definate lookers when they get larger! :biggrin: Thank you guys for your help, it's much appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….