• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need more info on A. sp. 'Masken'/'Cara pintada'

mordor

5 Year Member
In May I bought 6 small fish about 1/2". Now the biggest is about 1 1/2" and smallest about 1". Two days ago I did huge water change in my 12G tank, left 2" and replace rest with RO water. Water parametrs next day after change: pH 6.15, TDS 54, conductivity 96uS. Yesterday evening I noticed strange behavior of one female. She become very aggressive but also stays all the time in the crevice of the big dirftwood. Biggest male stays nearby while or other fish are hiding under husks of coconut shell I dropped into tank or stay in one corner. She is chasing any fish which wonders near driftwood but imediatelly return to her crevice. I cannot see big change in her colorouration, maybe black markings become more vivid. Generally she tries to linken to driftwood color. Male has not fully colored yet.
Where can I find more info about this fish. I thought they are to young to spawn, she is so small. I am now confused, because I have heard this fish is in Regani complex which supposed to be soft, acidic water fish according to books I got but on the other hand geographically this fish comes from the same region of Peru where A. cacatuoides is found.

jvr

5 Year Member
I think you maybe a daddy

When the females start getting a bit blacker and more yellow and chase most of the fish in the tank, you can almost count on having some eggs hidden some where. The male will usually help her guard for a few days, but don't wait to long, once the fry hatch she will chase him away to the point of killing him if he can't hide, my recommendation is to take him out at that point, also once the fry are free swimming I remove the females, because they are getting ready to spawn again and will consider there free swimming off-spring a thread to their next batch of eggs.

I hope you get some fry.

As far as water quality I have spawned 4 types of Apisto's even a wild caught pair, and mine all spawned in my tap water. which is by no means soft.

Good Luck

John

Neil

mordor,
I have found Regani group fish to be fairly diverse in their water requirements. The conditions in your tank seem pretty good. I don't believe that it is necessary to have exceedingly soft, acidic water for the development of their eggs. And, even if it is, they are likely to spawn in clean water conditions.
I agree with jvr in that you probably have yourself a female that has spawned. I don't recall whether my female showed less yellow coloration when she spawned, but I know that some become much brighter than others. And some barely change at all.
The size of the female is somewhat less important than her age. I have had very small females spawn for me, even for a larger species. Keep an eye out. You probably have eggs in there!
Neil

mordor

5 Year Member
I got them since May so I guess they must be 6-9 months old. I think she is not getting yellow on purpose it would made her too visible when she is laying in crevice and surrouding enviroment it very dark. Maybe when babies start moving around she will get yellow to show other fishes in tank that she is dangerous :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….