• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help with tank dividers

pjvtrash

5 Year Member
In searching the old posts, I read a suggestion by Mike Wise to use plastic needle point backing as a cheap and easy tank divider. I thought it sounded good, so I bought some, but hadn't tried using it until today. I cut the piece slightly larger than the interior dimensions of the tank, so it would fit tightly, and put it in the tank. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to fit uniformly, and my fish are finding their way around it. It seems to flex and bend enough that there are gaps along the edge. Is there a trick to getting that stuff to fit well and stay put? Or maybe I bought the wrong stuff and there is another kind that is more rigid?

I dropped a second male A. borelli into a 29 gallon tank this afternoon. The two males immediately started displaying and flashing at one another, but my experience has been that they are fairly harmless. Well, after a few minutes they went into a MURDEROUS lip lock. It was actually interesting to watch, but if they kept at it very long I think both would end up dead. I had to physically break them up with a net, and then I put the makeshift divider in. Within a couple of minutes the resident male had shimmied through a small gap in the side and they were back at it. The little guy who needs a temporary new home is sitting in a net in that tank for now, but any advice, suggestions, or ideas for easy tank dividers would be great.

Thanks.

pjvtrash

5 Year Member
So, I re-cut the plastic backing so that there is no vertical tension, only horizontal. I also rounded the bottom corners to accommodate the silicone bead. It seems better, and no one is getting through, yet. I'd still take any advice on using this stuff or other tank dividers. Thanks.

beleg

5 Year Member
I read on net that they use plastic file holders to keep the sides and bottom straight. And to keep the whole frame up right you can attach 2 suction cups per side if you don't want to silicone the whole thing to glass.

RX12360G.jpg

Thats what i mean by file holder if i wasn't very clear.. I am not sure about the correct English term for it..

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, you will need something ridgid on the edges. Got to a hardware supply store and buy a strip of plastic edge molding. It looks something like this in cross-section: ╨ or ╖. Then use large paper clips/hair pins the clip it to the frame of the tank.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….