• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help please! Mikrogeophagus ramirezi fry with white spots..

Boupette

5 Year Member
86°F since yesterday but it seems the white spots are getting more and more on the fry... what else can I do, I don't wanna lose them.

Boupette

5 Year Member
Didn't have the time to wait so I tried what I know best: 2 tablespoonful of salt for each 10 gallons of water. t° 87. everything seems to be ok after 10 minutes.

I'm scared cause I never had to treat so small fish.

Boupette

5 Year Member
It seems to begin with very small white spots and it grows on the fish. So on every fish there are very small white spots and bigger white spots. Some of them are almost full of it.

I'm wondering if it's really Ichthyophthirius Multifiliis or if it something else that I don't know of.

gerald

5 Year Member
It certainly looks like common Ichthyophthirius to me. Usually heat above 85 kills it but it seems you have a heat-tolerant strain - not surprising given the huge number of SE Asian fish farms. Try an anti-protozoan med with formalin and malachite green, or API General Cure, or Jungle Parasite Guard. Copper-based meds like Cupramine can be risky if your Ca/Mg hardness is low (less than 3 DH or 50 mg/l). Fortunately the fish still look healthy and active.

Boupette

5 Year Member
I think it's getting better, don't know if I'm dreaming but I think the salt and the heat is beginning to have a impact on those beasts!! I keep on nourrishing them 3-4 times a day and they eat likes pigs, that's a good sign at least, I turn out the light right after. The temp is now near 32°C. Think I will really see it tomorrow. ½ WC and vaccum, redosing the salt every night. No little bodies seen yet lying on the ground. I cross my fingers.

gerald

5 Year Member
That's common and normal for Ich to look like it's getting worse for a few days after beginning treatment, because it takes a few days for the newly-encysted "ich-lings" to get big enough to see. Remember it's only the invisible free-swimming stage that can be killed; those already burrowed under the skin must grow up and burst open before they can be killed - so yes the visible spots can increase even while the treatment is doing its job. If your rams can fight it off on their own with just heat and salt, I'm guessing they'll be more resistant to ich later on than if you treat with an anti-parasite drug.

Boupette

5 Year Member
Still full of it but a little bit less today. The problem is that I don't see the end of it cos there are big spots and also very small spots, which make me think that there are newly-encysted, can it be? They still eat like pigs that a very good point. It doesn't take long but very long before I can see a real sign of recovery. This morning I added another 2 tbs of salt, they take it ok.

gerald

5 Year Member
I hope that kills ALL the ich, because if it doesn't ... now we've got a 90°F tolerant strain !!
Fortunately the rams really don't look like they're bothered by it much.

Boupette

5 Year Member
Not at all! I'm astounded! Still a few spots but tomorrow will surely be ok! 90°F is very high, I didn't thing they would have done it so small, really.

Boupette

5 Year Member
All spots are gone now, it's about time! They will be ok, but I lost maybe 10 of them so it's not too bad I think.

What is the 1rst signs to sex those guys?
Thanks!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….