• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help fast!

LeviathanGirl

5 Year Member
I've lost a male p. taeniatus 'moliwe' to this already and I have 2 females with the same symptoms. One of them I think for sure is a gonner. The other I'd like to save if possible.

The symptoms are this. The fish are listless, sit on the bottom, turn very dark in color and then begin to behave oddly as if they have trouble controlling their movement. They list to one direction or another along, often falling to the side and turning upside down. They have also stopped eating. I've done a water change on that tank, treated it with a general cure, removed the ill fish to a hospital tank and treated them as well, but it doesnt seem to be helping. The rainbows in the original tank are behaving normally and show no sign of becoming ill. Neither does the remaining male. If anyone has an idea as to whats causing this and how to treat it please let me know. I do have a bonded pair of these in another tank, but I'd like at least one more pair outta this group to send to a good friend of mine who's been wanting a pair for a while now.

Thank you

LeviathanGirl

5 Year Member
I have a lotta meds stashed away for my fish, but I've rarely ever had to use them. The most I ever get is the occational, but rare case of dropsie or a beat up fish. I ran through the box and found something that covered at least some of their symptoms, hex-a-mit, did a 50% water change and replaced it with aged water from my 40gal aging bucket and treated to see if that helped. I'm not seeing much change. All the fish that were in the main tank have gone through the typical month quarentine, treated for internal and external parasites and diseases. Fact these JUST came out of quarentine not too long ago.

donaldscichlids

5 Year Member
Sounds almost like neon tetra disease. They start by sitting on the bottom and eratically swimming. Do you have any pics of your tank? Have you tried adding salt to your aquarium?

georgedv

5 Year Member
Same thing

Hi Leviathangirl,

I am having the same problem with one of my P. Taeniatus. He sits at the bottom and is having a hard time keeping his balance. Kind of rests on his side sometimes. When he swims he twirls and moves in diff directions. Every now and then he swims normally, but I think thats bevcause he is still at the early stages of what ever he has.

I was wondering what you did with your problem and if it was successful. This morning all I had time for was a 50% water change. Tonight i will move him to a hospital tank raise the temp and try some salt. In the mean time if you or any one else has any ideas PLEASE let me know.

I read some literature and have found many possibilities with these simptoms.

thanks

g

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….