• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need an ID please!

DH247

5 Year Member
Well, while getting some live food from a LFS today (Btw... Daryl, if you need live blackworms or starter cultures of microworms head over to Noah's Pet Ark on W Broadway just west of Mcdonald St) I came across a tank with some Apistos in it. One was a female Cacatoides, another a male Eunotus (or something similar), and 2 slender bodied apistos. I grabbed em up knowing that they were not usual fare. The guy who dropped em off didn't know what they were. I think they may be either young Meinkeni or Pertensis... I'm pretty sure I have a pair. Both exhibit similar markings, one much more pronounced than the other. As well, the 'female' was showing a fair amount of yellow colouring in the LFS tank. Let me know what you think they are, and whether they are a pair or not. I will try to get better pics as they settle in.

The male:
male_1.JPG

The 'Female':
female_1.JPG

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that we will need more photos, when they are not in plastic bags. The first photo might be A. sp. Xingu, but I am not positive. The second fish has an unusually broad lateral band, possibly a species in the agassizii-lineage??

DH247

5 Year Member
The only thing that leads me away from the 2nd being of aggie lineage is the faint pattern on the tail. It is the same as the first fish... I will try to get better photos soon. They are still rather shy. The broad lateral band has me baffled... It was also interesting to note that when stressed both looked very similar in terms of body colouration. They were almost black with 4 lighter 'slices' across the body... More pics to come soon! Thanks Mike.

DH247

5 Year Member
All right. A couple more photos. They are starting to get settled in and are showing a touch more colour. A touch of peach on the male's cheeks and some more red in the dorsal fin. As well, the female is now chasing off any thing in the general vicinity of her territory. She is also showing strong yellow colouration with a single predominant spot on her side. I was looking at A. sp. White Seam in CA1. The caudal spot (oval) and separated front dorsal spines are in line with the description along with the black edging around each scale. I will try to get a few other photos soon.

The male:
mae_1.jpg

The female:
fem_1.jpg

fem_2.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Based on the new photos, I am fairly certain that the male is A. sp. Xingu. This is a highly polychromatic species that has appeared under a number of names: A. sp. Xingu; Xingu Red-lobes; Gold Nugget; Samaúma; sp. aff. Peixoto (Rio Purus); Vielfleck/Multi-spot; Pineapple; Amapa Guttata.

Your female appears to be an agassizii-group species. It has an extraordinarily wide lateral band that extends well into the tail fin. This fish looks more like A. sp. Abacaxis than any other species.

DH247

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike! I'm on the hunt for a few more fish now.... Are there any more photos I can take to help with the id of the female? It would be nice to figure out exactly what she is.

Tom C

5 Year Member
She looks like A. sp. “Abacaxis†to me too.

Females in my tanks:

977.jpg

975.jpg

and in breeding dress:

253.jpg

DH247

5 Year Member
I think she is definitely abacaxis..... She looks almost identical to the your first pic Tom. Thanks. Any chance on shipping a pair of those to Vancouver??? :tongue: Thanks very much for the ID help ya'll!

Tom C

5 Year Member
......Any chance on shipping a pair of those to Vancouver??? :tongue:

Just drop in when you are in Norway, and I'll give you some :biggrin:

In Montreal you have Oliver Lucanus and his Belowwater.com. They use to have a lot of rare Apistogramma species for sale....worth a try ?

DH247

5 Year Member
Hahaha! Thanks Tom! I'll let you know when I'll be coming by :tongue: I do hope to make it to that part of the world someday!

Yeah, I was a touch too late to get some from another importer here in Vancouver. They are all spoken for.... However, that means that some will be in Vancouver. So if anyone gets tired of them or has fry I'll be there! Plus I will keep trying... Maybe I'll get lucky with something from TFG when they bring in another order...

I think Starforsaken, myself and hopefully a couple others from the VGA will try an order from Oliver towards the summer... Still on the drawing board though. Who knows what will happen!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….