• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nanochromis transvestitus

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Many of you have seen the thread on another site about my fish room and found my fascination with Nanochromis species. Let me introduce you to Nanochromis transvestitus. I have two pair in a 75 gallon tank. One pair had spawned several weeks ago, but I didn't get too excited, beings that it was their first time together.

The first signs of an impending spawn was that the pair dug out two crevices under rocks. They dug ALOT. These fish are only about 2" inches long, and they moved enough gravel to fill a one gallon coffee bucket.

Anyway, the female colored up real nice and started hanging out in a coconut cave...at that point I was pretty sure I had eggs. I quit dosing my plants, and didn't clean the algae out like I had been...just regular twice weekly 50% water changes.

This morning I went downstairs to take some pictures of some barbs in another tank, and noticed about ten free swimmers! I'm still keeping my hopes dampered, but at least I know I've got a viable pair.

Here is some info on the fish and the tank...

75 Gallon Aquarium
pH: less than 6.0 (can't measure below six, but it's down there I'm sure)
Temp: 78*F - 80*F
Tankmates are another pair of N. transvestitus and about 20 Clown Killies
Origin: Lake Mai-Ndombe in the Democratic Republic of Congo

And some pics...sorry for the poor quality. Haven't cleaned the glass or that side of the tank for a couple of weeks.
DSCN4170.jpg

DSCN4171.jpg

DSCN4174.jpg

And a short video.
[video=youtube;wGuC1KWwdoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGuC1KWwdoM[/video]

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Here's a pic of their tank. It doesn't look as clean as this now, and I need to add more cover.
DSCN3703.jpg

Here is one of the "caves" they dug out.
DSCN3673.jpg

Female infront of her coconut cave.
DSCN3526.jpg

henkh

5 Year Member
Congrats with the free swimming fry of this beautiful, little species. I hope you may keep some of them to grow out to adults!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….