• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nanochromis splendens

Neil

I have a spawn of N. splendens and the only other Nanochromis that I have worked with is transvestitus. Some of the fry are getting close to an inch and I am looking like the devil to see gender differences, but can't yet. i know that taeniatus can be told apart by the ventral fin being more stubby and paddle-like in the female (as well as the dorsal streak color). This isn't a problem with trans. but I don't know if most Nanos are non- dimorphic early on or not. Has anyone ever played with another Nano species? Or does anyone know when sexual determination is likely with them. It isn't tough to tell the parents apart. Neil

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
About these splendens, how do I tell them apart? They are growing very well with a lot of food and plenty of space. I notice some of them have a large black dot on the dorsal. These also seem to be the aggressors. Given that they are Nannochromis, I would assume these are the females? They are all starting to color up and if all goes as planned, I should be able to get a breeding setup going by mid to late summer :D

As for your question about early dimophism...the only other Nannochromis I've spawned is the transvestitus and never got them too far past free swimming stage. But, I am getting better at it. At this pace, I should be able to answer this question in easily 3 or 4 more years :?

Neil

Cichlid1,
I suspect that you'll get it much before that. I get the impression that you have a pretty good "feel" for breeding. I really don't think that an one tactic can be employed with continuing success. You kind of have to get a sense of the fish that your working with and try different strategies. Sexing and IDing is kind of the same. I saw that dorsal spot on some clearly, on others vaguely and not at all on the rest. I am sure about the sexing of the larger ones now, but when they were smaller I was looking for other distinguishing characteristics as well.
My wild pair has shut down on me after the first good spawn. Actually, I thought I had it again a month ago when I could see free swimmers in there with her, but she never brought them out. Gone now! :( I hope that you have luck with the splendens, because they are so darn rare and cool that it would be a shame if no other spawnings were produced. I'm trying hard. Good luck to you. Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….