• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nannacara aureocephalus "Chutes de Fourgassier"

Amazoniensis

hi,
still from my trip from French Guyana i brought back some Nannacara aureocephalus.
one female is "brood caring", this is a great surprise for me i was thinking i collected males only ... but in fact, no ! ;)

The creek

[youtube]

2nlz59g.jpg

the female, she spawned in the coco

IMG_9228.jpg

some pics of the waterfall
Chutes de Fourgassier, Montagne de Roura, Guyane
by N. Blondeau, on Flickr

Chutes de Fourgassier, Montagne de Roura, Guyane
by N. Blondeau, on Flickr

Ekona

5 Year Member
Really neat looking. Good colors! Thanks for sharing.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Here is an interesting forum thread about Nanacara. Check out the third photo down - N. aureocephalus huge old male!
Also, apparently a lot of variation in populations from stream to stream. You have a really good population!

WOW! Nice vidoes Please share the water parameters in the wild state.
I am now breeding these fish and would like to know more so I can succeed with them.
I have a brood of 25+ that are 10 days old but need more info so I don't screw it up!
I am in the N.W. area of the USA and water is high in PH so using mostly R/O water but what can they tolerate?
I have livebearers from French Guiana that come from high P.H. waters. What is this riverines water parameters?
Please help

Amazoniensis

hello,
the good pH range is between 5 to 7pH
you should continue to use reverse osmosis water. i think it is more important than pH.
the water must be very soft and a little acidic.
in the creek Morpio at pH 4.9
in the "Fourgassier waterfalls" it was 6.8 in the Gabriel creek at 5.2 and many in other creeks where the pH value was between 6 to 7.
always in very soft water.

Thank you! Amazoniensis
I am using 95% R.O. water in this tank (a 16 gallon bowfront). My P.H. is 6.5 and G.H. @ 2o
It's now day 14 and fry are very lively and out feeding actively! I have NO other fish in this set but want to add something small and non-threadening as fry get older.
Please let me know what other fishes share this creek with N. aureocephalus.
I have now transitioned food from hard boiled, finely strained egg yolks onto Banana worms & fine crushed flake at times. Fry are now 4.5mm in size and growing quickly! I did'nt expect this spawn either and are very new to egglayers as my Username states...
The pictures of they're native creek is a paradise! Seeing it seem one could understand it would be low in T.D.S. as well. But what type of boulders are in this creeks' location as well? Are there any trout to catch in there too? Is there any way to contact you off this board as well??? to talk of future info/spawns? My e-mail is [email protected]
Livebearerlady

Thanks, I haven't seen Copella's for sale in the U.S. but have seen them in collecting video's as By-catches of Apisto nets.
Thanks seems like an intersting new species t look for in the future. N. beckfordi is another difficult one to obtain here as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….