• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nannacara aureocephalus breeding tips

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
I've a nice group of adult N. aureocephalus (5M+4F).

I'm looking for some advice on the "furniture" of the tank.

Where they're prefer to lay eggs?, slate, caves, big leaved plants?

It' s a nice size of tank (60" x 20").

Thanks in advance.

HaakonH

5 Year Member
You should furnish the tank with a lot of fine-leaved plants, stones and bogwood. Javamoss is always a nice plant to include. The tank needs a lot of hiding places, and there's a strong possibility you may have to remove some of your individuals. The dominant male(s), particulary when breeding, will probably be putting a lot of effort into eliminating their rivals, and breeding females are usually very aggressive towards both males and females coming too close to their brood. So even though the tank is fairly big, beware of these things :). The number of females may work, but the number of males should probably be reduced to one or two.

The eggs are usually laid hidden, but not always in a cave - sometimes they are simply laid on a piece of wood with some plants covering/surrounding it. What dither fish will be included in the tank?

Haakon

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Thanks Haakonh, i will put lot of plants and bogwood.

By the way, I've a school of 10 Nannostomus eques and 1 Farlowella sp. (caught by myself).

gzylo

5 Year Member
treat them line N.anomala and you will be fine

they are cave spawners + female will be aggressive when with fry.

easy to breed

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nannacara species aren't true cave spawners; they don't need an enclosed area for breeding. They are secretive spawners that breeds in more out-of-sight locations (rock overhangs, undersides of wood, etc) that don't need to be enclosed on all sides. N. aureocephalus requires softer, more acidic water than N. anomala to successfully reproduce, but otherwise breed like other nannacaras.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….