• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

N. transvestitus

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I had a couple pair about 2 years ago and they spawned a couple times for me. Purely accidential, I'm sure. They were in a soft, very acidic planted tank. I decided to give them their own tank, with the same water parameters, and actually try to raise them. Needless to say, they never spawned again. After some new additions, they needed to share their tank. The new tankmates, a wild pair of A. aggassizii "Alenquer" immediately spawned and killed off the transvestitus.

Anyway, I have another pair now. They are currently growing out in a tank with a pair of F1 Nanacara aureocephalus. They each will eventually have their own home. I've heard from people that have raised the trans that the trigger for spawning is a sudden drop in pH. They've said things like they will put a spoonful or two of muratic acid in the tank to dump the pH. The fish are not too happy about it, but as the tank buffers up and the pH starts to rise back up in a day or two, they spawn. Anyone had any experience with this? Any other less drastic tips or tricks to get these to go? Mine are still a bit small, around an inch to an inch and a half. A couple months of good food and some healthy water changes and they should be primed.

Neil

Cichlids1,
Man, set those aureocephalus up and spawn them!!! I want some.
The problem with the transvestitus is a pretty common one with nanochromis and taeniatus. I think that what you are suggesting is a little dramatic, but it is something that I have done with other fish. However, I would try another option or two first, because it is so stressful. I think that changing the condition of normalcy is the key factor. They get set into a nice routine and even though you give them ideal conditions it does nothing for them actually spawning. I can't tell you how many times I had a pair of this or that, especially westies, that spawned and then nothing.
I usually try and remove the male for 4-5 days, feed the female well and then put him back in. If that doesn't work, I take the pair out and totally rearrange their tank, then do a massive water change and put them back in. I will even bag them sometimes and float them for several hours before re-entry into their "new" tank. This seems to work often. But, if not, put a target cichlid in that is strong and won't be thrashed immediately. Be careful not to let the pair get whomped on. I usually use another male of the same species. These are things to break the easy-going lifestyle that they have. And to get them feeling like breeding is a priority. If all else fails try the pH plunge, they can handle remarkable swings in pH, if the water is good. Good luck, Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….