• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My wild discus tank

kingborris

5 Year Member
Its been a bit of a labour of love this one:

full_tank3b.jpg

ampdaman

5 Year Member
Omg

That is like the most awsome discus tank ive ever seen!!!! how large is it and what other fish do you have in there?

kingborris

5 Year Member
Thanks ampdaman!

Its a 60x24x30" high with sump system, around 800litres (210 USG) total volume before displacement. Contents are:

13 wild green discus
~70 cardinals
25 hyphessobrycon robertsi
8 Apisto bitaeniata
3 Dicrossus filamentosus
2 L134
2 L182
1 Ancistrus temminckii
21 Cory sterbai
2 Cory adolphoi
Various Poecilia caucuna

JTS

5 Year Member
yup gotta agree with ampdaman, awsome tank anyone needing inspiration need look no further

Greg PL

5 Year Member
c'mon, show us some more :)

I see the plants growing behind the tank. are they separated from the tank or do they overhang?
what are the water parameters and temperature?
is the height (30") measured for water level?
the lighting must be powerfull to allow the bottom plants to grow.
and what's this "Poecilia caucuna"?

awsome tank.

Griz

5 Year Member
Absolutely beautiful !

Wonderful to see a true "dream tank" come to fruition.

ampdaman

5 Year Member
sweet jesus thats a detailed tank setup plan :eek: . im pretty jealous at the moment.so where could i get aquarium sand thats not black or white? the natural stuff. Ive been looking for the last 2 yrs of my whole 4yrs of aquarium keeping (obviously not looking hard enough...seems that everyone has it) and also how tall do the vals get? thanks in advance.
-Aaron

ampdaman

5 Year Member
wow....well i guess if i get some for my 15 ill be doin some pruning. ya well if u ever need that tank taken off your hands...u could always contact me :biggrin: i mean that must be a big burden to have a tank that size and to keep it lookin awsome...:)

kingborris

5 Year Member
thanks for the kind words Aaron.

looking after it isnt too bad actually, 2 water changes a week are pretty easy. one of those will be a straight in /out water change, the other I will spend an hour or two doing maitenance, trimming plants, removing waste etc. As long as I do that fairly regularly, it doesnt need much looking after. I can change 50 gallons of water in 30 mins easy.

kingborris

5 Year Member
It was just from my LFS. nowt special about it. In the past ive used kids play pit sand too, which has a slightly lighter colour, but still looks very natural. Its a bit finer than the stuff Ive used herethough, so tends to get blown about by over enthusiastic ancistrus, and then gets everywhere.

thegnu

5 Year Member
wow

i'm gonna print a picture, blow it up, and stick on my tank.
seriously though that is superb.
i would like to post a pic' of my tank but am not allowed, anyone know why.

fishgeek

anyone can post picture
becaue of the forum rule, which are there to allow all users, especially those who are limited to dial up to participate in these forums
external links to photo's are usual here, ie host your photo somewhere and provide the link in your post

by using the insert image icon on the top of the text box here

andrwe

fishgeek

maybe i wasn't clear enough
no attachments so that not all files need to be down loaded

tru hosting your images at a free gallery service, like , i think photobucket

rules here

kingborris

5 Year Member
yup... photobucket is what I use. just make sure your pics are the right size or admin will remove them.

then put the path to you hosted pic in

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….