• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Tanks (blueblue)

aspen

5 Year Member
keeping fish in larger tanks allows for more interesting interaction. i personally don't like using small tanks any more. it is way too easy to lose a fish to an agressive tankmate. with a larger tank you've got more chance of doing something before a death from agression. just ime of course.

rick

blueblue

5 Year Member
Well, one may think that a 15 liters tank is very very small.
Let's do some simple calculations.

i used to keep discus. I usually keep a pair of adult discus
(average size of about 18cm x 18 cm x 1cm) in a 200 liters tank.
So, on average, for each cm^3 of fish, the volume of
water allocated is equal to (200 liters/2)/(18x18x1)
= 0.3086 liters per cm^3.

For a pair of apisto, such as eliza, the average size (female and male)
is 4cm x 1.5cm x 0.5cm. If i keep them in a 15 liters tank,
the average volume allocated to each cm^3 =
(15 liters/2)/(4x1.5x0.5) = 2.5 liters per cm^3,
which is 8 times more than that for the discus!!

So, keeping a pair of apisto in a 15 liters tank is similar to
keeping a pair of discus in a tank of 1600 liters, which is not small at all... :)

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi Andre, i used to have water change (1/3 amount) every week.
Yes, i do keep the couple in the same tank if they do not fight very hard
in the tank; if they fight fiercely, i will separate them by using a plastic
plate. :)

Andre said:
Hey blueblue

That's quite interesting. How often do you do waterchanges? Do you keep the males and females together after spawning?

I am currently using 60cmx35cmx32.5cm tanks for my pairs. 45cm would be great though, I would be able to fit more tanks in :biggrin:

blueblue

5 Year Member
You are welcome, Chris.

Wish to see you tanks' setup soon. Thanks :)

Chris(wildcaught!) said:
Thanks for the answer.

Obviously the view on small tanks are a little bit different compared to Sweden. I have 54-liters tanks that are 60*30*30 cm. This is considered really small, the opinion on most swedish aquaristic forums are that no fish would ever be able to survive in 16-20 liter tanks, no matter of aquaristic experience of the owner.

However you prove them all wrong here, and from your posts here I know you have excellent Apistogrammas, so there is absolutely no critic from my side.

I might copy this setup, as I wrote earlier, since I really like the compact setup. I only need to find suitable shelf, will go looking for it this afternoon.
Let's see later how it turns out, I will post a picture if it is good :) .

Regards / Chris

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….