• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Tahuantinsuyoa macantzatza spawned!! woohoo!

bassic

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I got home from work earlier and looked into my tank to find a suprise....my Tahuantinsuyoa macantzatza spawned! They are from Peru and are delayed biparental mouthbrooders. So they will lay eggs and after they become wrigglers, one or both parents will incubate. I'm really excited to see this behavior. Right now, the mom is guarding her clutch. Whenever anyone comes near her eggs, she chases them off and blares her gills out...very scary looking even to me!

Here are some photos...sorry for it being so dark. I didn't want to use a flash...didn't want to scare them too much. I will definitely keep everyone posted!! I'm so excited!!!:)

If anyone have any experiences they can share with this fish, I would really appreciate it.

Mom guarding eggs:
tahuan_macantza_8708a.jpg

another pic of eggs:
tahuan_macantzta_8708b.jpg

From far away in DFW-land,
-duc.

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Congratulations, a nice fish with an interesting breeding habit to work with.

I kept and bred them a few years back, the female was quite happy to lay the eggs on an oak leaf in the tank, the leaf was then flipped over to hide the eggs from any thing else that was in with them (as they do in the wild, good way of protecting the eggs!!).

Andrew

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….