• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Setup's

Bilbo

5 Year Member
Criticism welcome. I am looking to breed from these so if there is anything clearly wrong I would rather know about it.

Bitaeniata Tank 1000x500x500. 2cm peat under 4 - 5 cm of small stones. Temp 27, GH and KH more or less nil, pH 5 - 5.5. 1 male, 2 females, 1 young BN and 2 bronze corries.

Forgive my photography :)

bitaeniataTank.jpg
Tank Shot
Malebitaeniata.jpg
Male
Femalebitaeniata.jpg
Female

Agassizi Tank 1000x500x500. Bare bottom, Temp 27, GH and KH more or less nil, pH 5 - 5.5. 1 male, 5 females and 1 female cherry barb that I cant catch.

agassiziitank.jpg
Tank Shot
Pairagassizii.jpg
Male
Femaleagassizii.jpg
Females

apistobob

5 Year Member
Both set up's look fine to me. I would probably add a few small caves in the aggie tank. You have a very complex environment so there are plenty of places for the females to take cover but there is not much breeding cave habitat in my opinion.

Also, the bronze corys will be a problem if the bitaeniata spawn. They will ignore the parental protection and eat the fry. It is very difficult to raise apisto fry in a tank with corys.

Bob

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello Bilbo,

Agree, need more caves or sturcturs to hide in for the females and eggs.
Would suggest to replace the plastic PVC pipe with clay pot or similar.
Otherwise nice setups. Also watch out for the barb, they are also fty eaters.
cheers jk :biggrin:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The best breeding caves have an opening that is just large enough for the female to pass through. The PVC pipe in your tank is not an ideal size. It is too large in diameter and both ends are open.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….