• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My next big thing: Apistos!

B

bextraordinary

Hi!

Figured I'd introduce myself, as I plan to make a few friends here. My name's Bex (short for Rebecca). I've been into fish for about two years now - it all started when I applied for a job at my LFS, Preuss Pets, and was hired into the freshwater department. You can probably picture a small animal/reptile hobbyist rolling her eyes at that: "Oh great, the most boring section in the store". I couldn't have been more wrong! Two years later, I have five aquariums and drive all over the state going to shows, expos, swap meets, whatever.

I've been into African cichlids for a while, and also into planted tanks. The two areas don't go together that well, so lately I find myself drifting into the Neo/SA cichlid arena. A lot of those guys are big, though - I'm in the process of setting up a planted 75 for some Crypto species, etc. Considering I live in a one-room studio apartment (starving college student, yay!), the big species are getting too hard to keep..

Enter.. Apistos! Gorgeous little fish, small, full of personality.. A match made in heaven, at least for me. So, educate me! I've read up on them, I'm interested in breeding, I've set up a tank for the 6 double red Caucs I'm getting in two weeks.. and now I'm here to meet other Apisto keepers and sponge off your experience!

I'd especially love to hear from Apisto keepers/breeders here in Michigan, because I really want to network and help each other out. I love to swap and trade, because I don't have much cash but I always have (or have access to) cool plants, rare fish and cool equipment.

Thanks!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome!

I am am sure that you will find some other dwarf cichlid enthusiasts in Michigan. You live in a very good 'aquarium' state. If you are starting your descent into Apistogramma be careful... it is a very slippery slope!

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum Bex!!

Apistogramma are very addictive, once you are hooked, you are hooked for life!!

I've tried to go cold turkey on them... but it didn't work!

phil ryti

5 Year Member
dwarfs in Michigan

Welcome to the forum. I live in Michigan and have kept dwarfs for about 15 years. I am working with westies Pelvicachromis, Tilapia synerdae, and Hemichromis stellifer. I don't have Apistos right now but I have been thinking about working with them again. What kind are you interested in?

B

bextraordinary

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Phil - At the moment, I have Pseudomugil rainbows, a 65 Tang cichlid tank, and the 75 SA tank (Nicaraguansis, Cutteri, Curviceps, etc). Once I move some stuff around and get a few small tanks set up, I'll be getting some Cacatuoides. I'd really like to get my hands on some trifasciata and agassizi, too, and pretty much anything else interesting. I'm sure one of them will eventually become my favorite, but for now, I want to try everything!

B

bextraordinary

Lisachromis - I have a little school of 8 furcatas, happily playing in the filter flow as I type. They're such spunky little fish! They come right up to the glass whenever they see me.. I think I might spoil them a bit :)

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
They are a cool little fish. I rather like blue-eyes.

Hope you find a good source for your Apistos. I know Wet Thumb occasionally has some species available. Usually stuff like agasizzi, borellii, etc.

apistobob

5 Year Member
There used to be quite a few apisto fans in Michigan, however, it has been years since I was in contact with them. Casey at Anchor Bay Aquarium in New Baltimore almost always has an assortment of dwarfs in stock. Wet Thumb Aquatics as mentioned by Lisa is also in New Baltimore. Both of these companies have web sites if you do a search.

Bob

B

bextraordinary

Apistobob - Oh, thankyou! Someone had led me to believe that Anchor Bay Aquariums was the store Wet Thumb used to run but then closed to focus on their hatchery. I see now that that was incorrect. The ABA site has several species listed. Wet Thumb seems to focus more on Rift Lake cichlids now.

apistobob

5 Year Member
Yes, Anchor Bay was originally started by Dolores and Dewey. They sold Anchor Bay to Casey and opened Wet Thumb as a hatchery and mail order operation (I believe this was in the early 1990's). Anchor Bay is a typical full service pet store with a long passion for dwarfs. Wet thumb is much more of a hatchery operation that focuses on a wide variety of species. They sometimes have apistos but they are not a main focus.

BTW, I have found that the Anchor Bay site is rarely accurate in terms of stock listing. Give tehm a call and they will tell you what they actually have.

strohl71

5 Year Member
Hello Bex -

I live in the Detroit area and gradutated from MSU in 94.

Welcome to the world of SA Dwarfs. Interesting and great fish to keep. As the others before me said...very addicting.

I currently keep a planted 38 gal with the following:
Pair of A. Agassizii
One Keyhole Cichlid (which I purchased from your store about 2 years ago)
One Ancistrus Pleco
About 20 Cardinal Tetras

As the other folks mentioned, Wet Thumb and Anchor Bay Aquarium are both great spots. I particulary enjoy Wet Thumb. You can find a lot of species that you never would see in a typical aquarium store.

Best of Luck.....

dragon429

5 Year Member
michigan

Welcome!

I am am sure that you will find some other dwarf cichlid enthusiasts in Michigan. You live in a very good 'aquarium' state. If you are starting your descent into Apistogramma be careful... it is a very slippery slope!

most are around detroit area..any further north that ya know of.
:confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….