• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my first apistogrammas

Psycho74

5 Year Member
Yup! My tips. Drill a hole in the drink lid slightly smaller than the tubing. Cut the end of the tubing at an angle. Pull the tubing through the lid with pliers, cut off excess tubing to be close to flush to the inside lid. Cut a small hole in the base. Feed tubing through hole in base.

Place stone in the base to weigh it down.

I use the aquarium water without the need of baking soda.

When hatched just place a clamp on the airline and remove from pump.

It's well worth investing in the magnetic eggs.. Much cleaner and healthier for the fish (no shells)

Place excess shrimp in the fridge for later.

Cheers,
Shane

Jason82

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I went to my local fish shop after work today and bought some brine shrimp eggs.
Unfortunately the female is dead, and no free swimming fry in sight.

Disaster.....

Psycho74

5 Year Member
Oh noo! I'm sorry to hear that Jason. How did she die? Will you buy another female?

Cheers,
Shane

Psycho74

5 Year Member
Have you been looking for another female yet? Made a bbs hatchery?

Cheers,
Shane

Jason82

5 Year Member
I haven't made the BBS hatchery yet, still got some drinking to do before I finish the 2 litre bottle :)
I have BBS eggs in the fridge though, and will set it up just the same as the video posted earlier in the thread. My wife is so excited about the baby apistos, that she has gone to my Local Fish Shop to get a micro and a grindal worm culture. When I get home from work, I will give the babies a feed. I don't think the Hikari First Bites is going to be good enough to feed them. Will let you know how I go

Psycho74

5 Year Member
Oh! I thought they had died? 'No fry in sight'.

I've got two lots of apisto fry on the go. One batch still with mum & dad (was a trio but had to separate other mother) - 3 weeks old. And about 6 in a nano tank about 2 months.

Cheers,
Shane

Jason82

5 Year Member
Yeah I thought so too, but notices some fry left yesterday. Hope I can save some. Won't be getting another girl until these babies have grown up and can be moved in to a grow out tank. My fish shop said they won't get any more female apistos for 2 or 3 weeks as well

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….