• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Favorite tank

farm41

5 Year Member
I'd like to brag about it a little, but, this weekend I am going to have rip it all up. I have a friend with a digital camera, I will see if I can borrow it and take some pics.

I have been having some problems with a few Black Phantom Tetras, I took one into the lfs and they put it under a microscope. He couldn't be sure what it was, so he took it to a friend at Oregon State Univ., I just got my answer back today, and got the bad news, they said it is a micro bacterial infection and the entire body was involved. They are telling me the tank will be a total loss, fish and plants, total sterilization. They state patholigist is working on this and they want me to bring all the fish in to the University so they can find out if it's just the one species or all in my tank. They say they don't get the chance to study something like this very often.

The 60g tank includes-
10 Black Phantoms
6 Red Phantoms
3 Lemon tetras
4 peppered cory's
2 albino cory's
1 bristlenose
3 yo-yo's
several ottos
4 SAE
several Amano Shrimp
many MTS

1 Red Ozelot Sword still flowering and has produced over 20 plantlets
1 flowering Amazon Sword
1 12" Anubias
lots of Dwarf Sag,
Many cryptocryne
Lots or very healthy cabomba, ludwiga, java moss, java fern, bacopa

Maybe I could save the flourite.

This was by far my best tank, the one I'm the most happy with. The one I wouldn't change. Now I could just about cry.

The only positive thing I can get out of this is that I wanted to turn this into an apisto tank.

My plants are going to have to go through a bleach dip at the very least, I hope that's all and I hope they can come through the sterilization process.

I was going to post this in 'the Lounge', but it's not working yet. The tank is heavily planted though so I put it in the plant forum.

mordor

5 Year Member
I also got some unidentified infection last Decemeber. I lost half of my fish but survivors seems to develop some immunity. I my case only delicate fish were gone, apistos, ancistruses, some barbs. I was simple watching them and they were going down one after another. After months death rate was going down and stopped. I do not know if it can come back in future?

aspen

5 Year Member
i would remove all of the fish and run it fishless for a month. the bacterial infection in that tank may not last in there without a fish host. try a single fish when you think it is safe to. most bacterias are host specific, ie, no fish, no bacteria. bacteria have short life spans. alternately, it may go dormant with no fish. it is worth a try, but as you say, the fish, well, you can try to heal them in a bb hospital tank with an anti-biotic.

i prefer potassium permanganate to bleach for a dip. it is very strong if mixed that way, and the colour tells you when it is active, and is easily de-activated instantly with hydrogen peroxide. it is also useful as a med for fish for external parasites, but i consider using it on plants or tanks a must before using it on your prized fish for practice. i have had some bad experiences using bleach, esp when trying to cycle filters, and with fish. i have rinsed and rinsed and dried and rinsed again and it was still there.

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
I have used bleach alot of times and haven't had any problems getting all the bleach out.

Anyway this is what they want me to do, remove all the fish, inverts, and plants, add 6 cups bleach and let run for 24 hours. Filters, co2 reactors, and powerheads. After that I will siphon all the water out and take it all outside for a good hosing off.

This tank is overloaded with plants, but, they will start taking them for trade again after one week. The Plants get a bleach dip too, but not for that long.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….